Underwater stills on Hero 3+ ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely "hit and miss".... significantly more "miss" than "hits". I wouldn't count on this feature to produce any great results but it's a pleasant surprise to find a nice Still shot at the end of the day.

If interested, you can see here some results from this "5 sec auto-capture": Flickr: trevalo0325's Photostream

And here is a video I put together from which some of those Still shots were captured:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/39jCbWcOp5g[/video]

My first stab at underwater video, some bits are quite shaky... gotta work on that buoyancy!

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 02:57 PM ----------

Assume you'll be using both the the 1200 and 2000? That should be plenty of light to get some nice colorful shots down there. How's the spread and those Solas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really, really nice stills! To me they look great! All of them were the 5s shots through the video? BTW, the youtube video link didn't work for me...

The closer to subjects pics were done using lights, right? Did you use a red filter?

Thanks!

Definitely "hit and miss".... significantly more "miss" than "hits". I wouldn't count on this feature to produce any great results but it's a pleasant surprise to find a nice Still shot at the end of the day.

If interested, you can see here some results from this "5 sec auto-capture": Flickr: trevalo0325's Photostream

And here is a video I put together from which some of those Still shots were captured:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/39jCbWcOp5g[/video]

My first stab at underwater video, some bits are quite shaky... gotta work on that buoyancy!

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 02:57 PM ----------

Assume you'll be using both the the 1200 and 2000? That should be plenty of light to get some nice colorful shots down there. How's the spread and those Solas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those pics were surprisingly good for a GoPro. Those lights really have some kick.

Sorry, try the video again here: Scuba Diving the Central Visayas - YouTube
Here's the link to the Still shots again, jsut in case: Flickr: trevalo0325's Photostream

Yes, all the shots on flickr were from the "auto 5 sec capture" function (except for that last shot of Oia, not sure how that squeezed in there). And bear in mind, for every "keeper", there were tonnes of blurry and useless shots.

I was very impressed with Gopro. I was originally considering RX100 but before making the commitment, decided to try with a Gopro instead (cheaper and easier to handle) since this was my first time diving with a camera, lights, tray, etc. Besides the stabilization issues and lack of macro, I'm very happy with the Gopro setup. But maybe I'll start drooling over the Sony again when the RX200 comes out later this year. :D

Yes, I had my lights on for most shots; for others, I was afraid the light would scare the critters away.

I also used Backscatter Flip filter (knowing what i know now, I wouldn't even bother taking the gopro down there without some kind of red/amber filter).

After a couple of days experimenting/flipping between the Shallow, Dive, and Deep filters, I ended up mostly using the Dive filter only. The Dive filter worked fine in shallow depth... if the color was too warm, it meant the sun was out and bright enough so I could do without any filter.

Using the Deep filter in deep water with lights was much too warm/red, and without lights the video quality was terrible... so in deep water I would use lights with the Dive filter, which was often just about the right amount of warmth and color.

Here is a still capture - no lights, red filter only at maybe 15m deep
Similan-087crop.jpg

Quick question about the intermittent stills: are they full resolution?

Yes, I usually shoot at 720/60p and each pic is sized @ 1MB, 3840x2080. The manual says the photo size is determined by the video dimension that you select.
16:9 --> 8 Megapixel
4:3 --> 12 Megapixel

I have many great stills from my GoPro Hero 3 Black. Some I have had blown up to a3 size ... I have taken none of them in photo mode. I have taken all of them from the video footage using GoPro Studio 2.0. I just pause it at a suitable spot and if a bit blurred, I just advance frame by frame until it unblurrs ... I have some great pics. :)

Attachments

• Sam 6.jpg
    Sam 6.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 219
How is your go pro mounted Carpster?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom