Underwear Revisited - The Warmest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The company is Otter Bay. Cricket will make a 12mm hood custom fit to your noggin.

The first thing I thought when I read this thread was "what kind of hood is he using?"
That's a good question- Most parents will tell you to wear a hat on a cold day because they know that some 40% of bloodflow goes through the head and lots of heat is lost upstairs.

Does anyone have any comparisons between warmth with different hoods while using the same undergarments?

Rick, I also use a Weezle Extreme +.

It's simply the warmest undergarment I've ever found for really cold water.

(I also use argon.)

To reduce the number of times I have to wash the weezle, I wear a set of polypro long underwear beneath it.

It's comfortable for me in 30's degree water, with no real issues at all.

FWIW.

What exactly is the Weezle made of? How well does it work when wet/flooded?

Just based on looks they remind me of the old down jackets that used to be popular because they were very light and warm but when the down got wet they didn't work so well.

no, expirience with it yet, but how is the Pinnacle Merino Evolution undergarment

I will be diving this in Alaska in Feburary and wanted to know how many layers I should plan to have with me. I was told temps range from 41F to just below freezing, with an average of about 37F.

I have it, and dove in 35 degree water last winter. My regulator free-flowed and my buddy was freezing, but I was really comfortable.

Great stuff.

They also replaced the last few inches of the arm and leg cuffs with some sort of wetsuit-like material, so it's not all bunched up around my gloves and socks.

Terry

Terry

Just based on looks they remind me of the old down jackets that used to be popular because they were very light and warm but when the down got wet they didn't work so well.

Here's their link describing the Weezle Undersuit's construction and materials and thermal performance:

Weezle Diving Services - Weezle Undersuit Infomation

Dave C

The company is Otter Bay. Cricket will make a 12mm hood custom fit to your noggin.
I have one of these up here in Seattle that I just got a month or two ago. Catch me at Alki some evening if you want to see it.

I got one custom made, and it's a beauty...price is _very_ reasonable, and the workmanship is brilliant. The sucker is warm, too :)

It's mostly 12mm, but the face seal is only 3mm (needs to be thinner) and the neck panel is 6.5mm for tucking in. I use a DUI suit with a warm neck collar, so I got the hood with the neck ring, versus the typical dry-suit hood.

My only gripe is no zipper, BUT that was my choice. The zipper can't be sewn into the 12mm neoprene, because it's too thick, so they'd have to insert a 6mm panel for it, and that would kill the purpose of a 12mm hood.

I've had armfuls of water and not known untill I took the suit off after an hour. Granted, the water was 56º, but I was still pretty impressed.

Great input, as always. That hood is a must have for sure! I'm leaning toward a Weezle. Then, if still cold, add one of Lynne's heated vests. I just can't imagine all that wouldn't keep me toasty.

Add another vote for Weezle Extreme plus. Also a good hood, tucked into the suit DUI style. All of which has been mentioned, but I reiterate.

Back
Top Bottom