Unfair Maui Rules May End Scuba Instruction! We Need Your Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please watch this report from The Maui Daily of July 8th. AKAKU TV's local news channel featured a story about the Parks & Recreation Hearing that was held on June 26. They have a short clip with me in it too. The story is the first feature story so starts pretty quick. I would really appreciate any and all feedback. We still need support for this cause. Thank you!

Akaku: On Demand | Akaku: Maui Community Television

Another update on what's happening with the Proposed New CORA Rules and Regulations:

n1599342519_30123213_5076937.jpg

Former Mayor Alan Arakawa

Tomorrow night, that's Wed. July 29, 2009 the former Maui Mayor Alan Arakawa will be hosting his weekly talk show on TV. It is called REALITY CHECK. Here on Maui it will be on channel 53. It begins at 7:00pm and goes until 8:00 pm. He will have two guests and there will be a chance for viewers to call in with questions. The phone number is:

(808) 873-3430

bob.jpg

Bob Straub

The guests will be Bob Straub, former Special Events Coordinator for the County of Maui Parks and Recreation Department and myself, 'Shaka' Doug Corbin, owner of Shaka Divers, permit holder for 11 years.

n1038890729_293692_2486.jpg

Doug Corbin

Alan will be asking us a series of questions regarding the situation we are in. He will be talking with Bob about the history of the permitting process and how we got to where we are now. I will be offering commentary and solutions to the problems with the proposed rules. We will be covering a lot of info during the one hour show.

It's going to be an informative show and we are hoping you will tune in. Please spread the word about this. The proposed new rules, if adopted, will really put a lot of strain some of Maui's best beach parks. They will make it hard for many of the watermen and women of Maui to stay in business. This can adversely affect both tourists and locals alike and will not result in any positive growth for our failing economy. Please support the show, tell your friends, watch it and call in if you have questions.

Remember these rules apply to Kayaking, Surfing, Windsurfing, Kiteboarding, Snorkeling and SCUBA tours and lessons. We need to stick together on this or we will surely lose one of the best tourist attraction opportunities in the world. Safety has always been my number one concern with my SCUBA business. The other industries have done lots to keep their respective activities safe too. The proposed new rules really take away our safety options and make our sports more dangerous instead of making them more safe. We must not let these rules pass the County Council the way they are presently written. There are links to the new rules earlier in this thread.

Thank you very much! I hope you will watch. I'll try not to have too much stage fright...

Back
Top Bottom