Unfair Maui Rules May End Scuba Instruction! We Need Your Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMaui

Registered
Reaction score
Unfair County rules may kill scuba diving and snorkeling instruction on Maui.
Maui County has proposed new rules that will almost certainly kill watersports instruction on Maui. This is bad news for the Maui watersports community. And bad news for all the schools that have been serving the community for decades. Some for close to 30 years now. These new rules will affect every ocean activity school in Maui. Scuba, snorkeling, surfing, windsurfing and kiteboarding schools are all at risk.

The County is reducing the days and times we can teach diving and have access to the county parks, as well as taking away our parking access and access to use certain beach parks. This is a bad idea especially for safety reasons. They are also limiting the number of instructors we can use. This will eliminate may instructor jobs here on Maui.

We need public testimony from anyone who supports these sports. Please support our instructors, and schools by writing a letter or email. And send it to:

Tamara Horcajo, Maui County parks director, tamara.horcajo@co.maui.hawaii.us
Zachary Helm, deputy director parks, zachary.helm@co.maui.hawaii.us
Mayor Charmaine Tavares, charmaine.tavares@co.maui.hawaii.us
Jo Anne Johnson, jo_anne.johnson@mauicounty.us
Michelle Anderson, michelle.anderson@mauicounty.us
Senator Shan Tsutsui, sentsutsui@Capitol.hawaii.gov
And cc a copy to
suziej@maui.net

Any more details? During the summer months, we can only teach from 7a-10a in Laguna Beach.

When the rules are posted on the County website I will post a link, we just received our rules via mail Saturday!
Thanks

Wouldn't this have an adverse affect on tourism? Which if I am not mistaken is Maui's bread and butter with spam so to speak? I wouldn't think that in the current state of economics in the US which is not so hot right now they would not cut their nose to spite their faces. I spent two weeks their in 2000 and it was a blast.

Any more details? During the summer months, we can only teach from 7a-10a in Laguna Beach.
Curious why you didn't move this thread? :confused:

The County is reducing the days and times we can teach diving and have access to the county parks, as well as taking away our parking access and access to use certain beach parks. This is a bad idea especially for safety reasons. They are also limiting the number of instructors we can use. This will eliminate may instructor jobs here on Maui.

I am trying to understand the issue, so help me out. From the above portion of your initial post, it appears that the County is trying to regulate private businesses using County property??? Is this correct?

Maybe you can scan and post an image of the letter so we can be better informed and compose emails that will have the desired affect.

Reminds me of what happened to boat permits on maui many years ago. This would be a deal breaker for me. We are planning on moving to Maui this June but if it's as ugly as it appears, Maui is out for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom