Unfair Maui Rules May End Scuba Instruction! We Need Your Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a link to the new rules. We have a county meeting wednesday. Here is some info; You can not operate on Maui without a county permit. There has been a moratorium on permits for about 3 years while the county did a study of all the beach parks and user groups etc. The county has just completed their new rules which do not reflect the study at all. It seems the county just wants all operators off the beaches. The new rules say our permits are not transferable; meaning after 20 or 30 years in business we can not leave our business to our spouses or family members. This is terrible, we have worked so hard to build our businesses that we hope someday will be our retirement. There is also limited parking, more permits than allowable parking. Permit reductions at most beaches. Limited times, and also no saturday lessons after 2:00 and no sunday instruction. This will eliminate ever being able to offer scuba instruction to local kids and families.
http://216.70.100.159/www/MC10-102.pdf

Maui thanks you for you support!!

4 permits for Ulua, imagine that.

Thanks for switching it over. Can't wait to hear what the results of the meeting are.

Looks like no more guided night dives.... How would they pick the people who get the permits?
How do the current permit holders factor in these numbers? I have seen lots of people down at Ulua teaching/guiding... I think the parking lot should be the limiting factor not a permit system...
I'll send off some emails in protest, thanks for making the thread and giving the info!

Sean

I had several of the emails I sent bounce back. I know Brad's going to the meeting, answers coming soon.

Wow, Maui is really messed up. First they have Snorkel Bob and his crazy aquarium fish hysteria, now they're trying to shut down scuba instructors too!

Al, are you dead set on Maui, or can you come to a different island?

I was set on Maui. We'll have to see how this sorts itself out. Maui is the rock I know but, the Big Island and Florida are options. I have to decide soon.

Hate to say it, but I'm not surprised at all ... just heading down the path the county has been going down for the past 8 years in limiting new businesses and curtailing growth in the tourism industry (especially related to ocean/beach activities) when the population continues to boom right along with the number of visitors coming.

:S :( :S :(

some days it's very tempting to move ...

Aloha, Tim

Huge, scarey "deal breakers" for the scuba industry (in no particular order) are:

1) No Sunday Operations

2) No Holiday Operations (these rules cut out over 2 months of work days per year!)

3) No Activities after 2:00 pm. - no night dives!

4) No more than 4 Commercial Operators at Ulua Beach.

5) No more than 4 Commercial Operators at Makena Landing.

6) Maximum of 4 Commercial Operators at other Beach Parks, less than 4 at some others.

7) Permits are non-transferable and become void with any change in ownership in your business.

8) Overburdening record keeping requirements.

9) Severe fines and penalties.

10) ONE BEACH permitted per company.

11) No more than two instructors at your one permitted beach at a time.

12) Parking regulations that make it impossible to do business.

The list goes on and is mind-boggling!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom