Unfair Maui Rules May End Scuba Instruction! We Need Your Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By nature Hawaii has been anti business for many years. Maui seems to be at the head of the class. Makes me sick, but....perhaps it's time to move on.

We're watching this very closely right now. I have been asking all of my friends to come out to support our cause at Wednesdays meeting. We could all use all the help we can get. I have been at this business here on Maui for almost ten years now. Everything I have worked for could be flushed down the toilet in one penstroke. It's very disturbing. Each year has been a little harder then the previous one to get our permits renewed. I have met many great Scubaboard people who have dove with me. Please, if any of you read this, take a moment to write to the local officials listed in the first post and express your dismay. The permits are up for renewal in only 4 months. If we don't get this situation changed, many of us will be forced to go out of business.

Sucks Doug. Good luck, this fight is for you and all of us too.

Is it any wonder there are so many independents (several shops too) that are technically operating illegally here?

While this current issue needs to be resolved, it's just symptomatic of the general anti-business stance Maui county has taken. Funny but when I first moved here Maui was considered the only business friendly island in the state... how quickly things change :(

Is the meeting Wednesday open to the public? If so could one of you post the details of when, where etc.?

Check with Brad Tim.

I just read the proposal, it is one of the worst written ordinances that I've ever read. I suspect that any literate court would throw it out. You need to be prepared to test it. You will need a competent and moderately connected lawyer.

The meeting is this Wednesday, Feb. 27 at 5:00 pm at the Parks and Recreation Conference Room at the War Memorial Complex Building (by the indoor basketball court). It is scheduled to run from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm. We are asking that people start showing up at 4:00 pm to prepare. They are having a meeting for the Kayakers starting at 6:00 going to 7:00. I'm not sure that it is open to the public, however at the same time, I don't think it's closed to the public either.

Appreciate you getting the info out Doug. Let's hope gov stupidity doesn't screw this up.

I've only been in Hawaii about a month, it is my impression that government here is rarely stupid, but it is often crafty, which at first glance often appear to be the same thing ... wrong! Follow the money.

Back
Top Bottom