Unguided diving in Egypt and 300bar tanks/compressors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S****N

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am thinking about going to Egypt for a longer period and want to know what the rules are for unguided diving. Somewhere on the WWW I’ve read that there is a minimum of 30 logged dives needed to dive unguided. Is this correct? Any other rules?

Second thing: anyone who has ever seen 300bar/ 4350psi compressors and/or tanks in Egypt? Am thinking about taking my own tank with me.

Yes, there is something like that rule beeing applied. It may also be 25, i don't remember. The dive centre will know what rules applies, it is likely to be some local aspects to consider, e.g. max. depth (was it 30 m or 40 m), no gloves, no night dives, restrictied areas,...
If with "unguided" you mean "solo", you will have to show proof that you are a qualified solo diver.
If with "unguided" you mean you and your buddy without a guide from the dive centre, then that's not unusual at all. However, you will have to have a check dive with one of the DM from that dive centre first. He /She will decide whether you are good to go on your own. That will be irrespective of the number of dives you show in your logbook.
Never heard or seen someone with 300 bar on his tank. It's usually 200-220.

I am thinking about going to Egypt for a longer period and want to know what the rules are for unguided diving. Somewhere on the WWW I’ve read that there is a minimum of 30 logged dives needed to dive unguided. Is this correct? Any other rules?

Second thing: anyone who has ever seen 300bar/ 4350psi compressors and/or tanks in Egypt? Am thinking about taking my own tank with me.
If you are an active scuba instructor and have an equally experienced dive buddy, I think many liveaboards would be happy for the two of you to go off and dive as a pair on your own, provided you are familiar with the spot and attend the briefing. For shore-diving from land-based dive ops, I think they'd probably expect you to participate in one guided/familiarisation dive and you'd be free to do your own thing from then onwards.

As for tank pressure, the vast majority of recreational dive ops in the Egyptian Red Sea use AL80 only, filled to 200 bar. A small number of them may also use steel 12L or 15L, BUT I've never heard of high-pressure fills to 300 bar. Tech diving ops, of course, may be a different story.

I hope this is of some use to you.

Avoid Dahab if you want to dive unguided, I believe it's a rule in that area.

Never seen a 300 bar fill in Egypt.

And good luck trying to bring a dive tank into Egypt, I assume you've never been there and experienced Egyptian customs and bureaucracy.

I assume you've never been there and experienced Egyptian customs and bureaucracy CORRUPTION.

Corrected.

We had unguided HR dives there...
However, Lighthouse, The Bells, Blue Hole, Canyon were done with guide. As a matter of convenience at least. I don't know if i can remember unguided groups.

We had unguided HR dives there...
However, Lighthouse, The Bells, Blue Hole, Canyon were done with guide. As a matter of convenience at least. I don't know if i can remember unguided groups.
When I was there last year I was informed that you had to hire a local DM/Guide to do any diving in Dahab.

I did a house reef dive at where we were staying one day as I just wanted to chill and relax, whilst my two buddies went off somewhere else and I had to hire a DM for this dive. I didn't mind but he was just there as an alternative source of gas should I ever needed it.

We did have to surface earlier than I would have liked as he hit 50 bar on an AL80 while IIRC still had 100 bar left in mine. He did smoke five cigarettes over one cup of coffee, so I guess that explains his poor SAC rate.

Never seen a 300 bar fill in Egypt.

And good luck trying to bring a dive tank into Egypt, I assume you've never been there and experienced Egyptian customs and bureaucracy.
Only 4 times so not that much. Never had troubles with customs. Not in Marsa, Hurghada nor Sharm. But never brought a tank so you could be right if they see my 10l in my luggage on their scanner, they’d possible see baksheesh.

We did unguided dives in Dahab at the Happy life housereef.

Just wanted to know if it this was more of an exception and if the CDWS has a set of rules for diving on your own. I mean, back at home we always dive without guides basically because we are our own guides. So would be a waste of money to dive guided in conditions that are much easier than our local conditions when I would be in Egypt for a longer period.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom