Unicorn and Pegasus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis H

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Unicorn and Pegasus

Well they are ready for Portage Quarry, Ohio.

I will have a couple of Unicorn I and a couple of Unicorn II at Portage that anyone is welcome to try.

The Unicorns are balanced single stage regulator. The Unicorn II has high pressure ports and an SPG attached. They also have easily adjustable venturi nozzles (one of the Unicorn I also has the adjustable venturi).

One of the Unicorn II also has a modified lever system with a higher mechanical advantage. The cracking effort of this Unicorn II is very good, less than 0.8 inWC, which is the best single stage regulator I have measured. I do have a plan on how to reduce the cracking effort even further (without making it unstable).

All of the Unicorns have a very strong venturi flow. I had to adjust them down or they become positive pressure breather and air is wasted during inhalation.

Due to the very strong venturi, during initial bench testing, I have always had to use modified hose system that easily vented any excess pressure.

Since Unicorns are using a balanced valve, they are not affected by any tank pressure. They perform the same with a 3000 psi tank as they do with an almost empty tank.

I have the first Unicorn I around last year and I have tried it just past 100 ft deep. It performs the same at all the depth I have tried it. A week ago I dove both Unicorn II. One performed great to around 82 ft and the other to around 60ft.

I will also have a couple of variations of the two stage Pegasus, that anyone is welcome to try.

The Pegasus is a modified Voit Titan (similar to the Voit Trieste), but with a modified second stage and using Rob’s plastic cans.

The second stages use a body that Creed made. I modified them slightly to adjust the venturi flow. They have a very good, but predictable, venturi assist.

The two Pegasus have different levers, one with a slightly higher mechanical advantage and a roller contacting the diaphragm. They are both outstanding in breathing performance. I have adjusted the cracking effort to less than 0.5 inWC and the venturi assist immediately drops it well below that (slight positive pressure is not uncommon, but very predictable).

I have done a lot of dives with one of the Pegasus and it has been a great regulator.

In addition, I will have one Trieste in a plastic can with the large diaphragm. It also performs great.

I would like to thank Captain and Herman for their help with machining parts and Creed for the part he made.

Below are a few pictures. I will be adding more pictures later and Allan will try to take some pictures of them in action.

Here are a couple of pictures of the Unicorn II:

Picture041-1.jpg

Picture038-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the original Unicorn I during the early pool test. I was calling it the Hurricane at the time, but then I remember that there is a single hose regulator name Hurricane.

Picture012-3.jpg

Here is a modified Trieste.

Picture003-2.jpg

Luis, O.M.G.......I'm floored and speechless......Well Done!

I suspect Doc Ed will put in an order for one in 3, 2, 1........:wink:

And I'm not able to go to Portage to see these in person....grrrrrrr.

BTW, I want one. :)

Lisa, Ed - I will test dive them for you this weekend. :mooner:

Here are some pictures of some of the early load testing I did to determine the forces on a Mistral lever and on the pin with different tank pressures.

The multi-port adapter in the picture was just there to provide a consistent hard surface to push against (the weight of it was zeroed out).

I actually measured the force to open the valve using a range of tank pressures from 100 psi up to 2600 psi. I plotted the force on the pin and at both levers as a function of tank pressure. I did it for the Mistral and the balanced single stage.

After Portage I will be working on improving the lever mechanical advantage.

The high pressure hose allows me to supply tank pressure to a regulator and move the regulator any way I want to. It is also very handy to submerge just the regulator into a water bucket to check for leaks.

You can read the forces from the scale:
The force directly on the pin is shown as 9 Lb 10.9oz (9.7 Lb)
With the two levers it is 4.6 oz (0.29 Lb)
The pictures are actually from two different regulator valves.

Picture049.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Lisa, Ed - I will test dive them for you this weekend. :mooner:

Envy....Pea green with envy is what I am.

Thanks Herman! Hey, would you be interested something from the museum? Sorry, non-mags not available.....but since I still owe you that beer, well I thought maybe something that ships easier, less messy and fewer questions from ATF. We have hats, t-shirts (the most popular one now is "The last thing going through Bin Ladens mind........were Navy SEAL bullets" or "If it absolutely, positively must be destroyed overnight, call......and others) shotglasses, mugs, you know the usual stuff. Let me know!

Lisa

OH, I would like a full report on how the Unicorns dive, cause I'm thinkin I need one..............:D

Luis,

This is a wonderful project, and very interesting to me. Do you have figures for the Mistral's opening force at about 140 psig? That would be interesting to me.

Both your Unicorn and Pegasus regulators are most interesting. 'Wish I was near and could try them out. I had my Trieste II (with lots of modifications) in the Clackamas River today, and really enjoyed that dive. The Unicorn, with a variable venturi would be very interesting to play around with. Have you thought about putting a baffle plate in the mouthpiece like the Healthways double hose regulators? I took one of those baffle plates, and put it into a USD/Voit curved mouthpiece for my Trieste II. It worked very well to control the venturi, and yet have the advantage of the positive pressure breathing.

SeaRat

The balanced valve is not 100% balanced. The tank pressure does affect it slightly.

The force change on the compound levers with the balanced valve changes by 50% from a tank with 100 psi to one with 2600 psi. In the case of the Mistral the change in force is 450%.

The force it takes to open the Mistral valve is actually lower than the balanced valve when the tank pressure is below 500 psi, but with the large force swing it is more difficult to design the levers to accommodate that range and breathe easy at all tank pressures.

Also a much more important improvement is the size of the volcano orifice. The balanced valve has a much larger volcano orifice than any non-balanced regulator.

In the case of a Mistral volcano orifice the diameter is 0.086 inches which has an area of 0.0058 inches square.

The volcano orifice in the balanced valve has a diameter of 0.12 inches, which means the area is 0.011 inches square.

In both cases we need to subtract the area of the pin to get the actual flow area. The pin is about 0.061 inches with an area of 0.0029 inches square.

This means the flow area for a Mistral is about 0.0029 inches square (0.0058-0.0029). And for the balanced valve it is 0.0081 inches square.
That is a 2.79 times larger flow area for the balanced valve.

You may not tell the difference if you are a light breather (like Greg Barlow ) in shallow water, but in deep water (or if you are working hard) it makes a huge difference having that larger flow area.

I will provide more data later, but I have a long drive in front of me… heading toward Portage…

Back
Top Bottom