Unintended Consequences Removing a Foreign Species

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exotics CAN be killed if you get to them before they become established.

In the 1990s in Key Largo divers started seeing a couple of Pacific Orbicular Batfish swimming around with some (similar-sized and colored) Atlantic Spadefish. Some time passsed and two Orbicular batfish turned into 4 Orbicular Batfish. Panic ensued.

The fish were captured and removed. They are now living happily in an aquarium and Orbicular Batfish are no longer seen in the water around Key Largo.

Who knows what might have happened if they had been left alone?

MeiLing:
I don't think they've ever been entirely successful at removing non-natives, but they certainly try to keep them in check so as to leave room for the natives. The biggest ones in the news now are the coqui frogs (tiny Puerto Rican tree frogs that have come in bromeliads). They croak all night at a sound level that is deafening. They have no predators and they're pretty resistant to all that they tried to get rid of them. Like one of the previous posters said, it's a delicate balance of trying to get rid of the non-natives while not killing off the natives. So many of our native birds are on the verge of extinction.

During the past few weeks of diving, I've seen the re-emergence of the Japanese invasive Sargassum filicinum in Catalina's waters. This is an annual that spread with incredible speed throughout our waters in its year of introduction (last year). The spores left by that generation of this alga are now developing into small immature plants that are completely dominating rocky surfaces at many dive sites, choking out the possibility of any native growth.

I don't see this species being controlled ever now... it was probably too late when it was first discovered.

A few years back, there was a small invasive population of allagator (population = 1)living in Jamaica Pond in Boston. It was successfully eradicated.

scratchmyback:
I doubt we will ever eradicate zebra mussels either.

There has been some serious attempt using briny water in ponds. It might be a feasible strategy for small confined bodies.

drbill:
During the past few weeks of diving, I've seen the re-emergence of the Japanese invasive Sargassum filicinum in Catalina's waters. This is an annual that spread with incredible speed throughout our waters in its year of introduction (last year). The spores left by that generation of this alga are now developing into small immature plants that are completely dominating rocky surfaces at many dive sites, choking out the possibility of any native growth.

I don't see this species being controlled ever now... it was probably too late when it was first discovered.

That's too bad Bill. I wish there was a way to remove it. My hope is the native kelp will still grow stong and maybe shade-kill the sargassum.

Dave

Zebra mussels have somewhat cleared up viz in the great lakes and St-Lawrence river tough.

Have other foreign species had any positive impact?

Oh yes:) . That's part of the problem with removing them. Most examples of *beneficial exotics* are well-entrenched plants. They're not so much "beneficial" as they are "accidentally useful" in certain ways.

In the Grand Canyon river system, exotic salt cedar trees are providing critical nesting and resting habitat for endangered native birds.

The freshwater plant Elephant Ear is a common shorebank stabilizer in streams and ponds throughout the U.S.. It is particularly prized at zoos and botanical gardens.

Chinese Tallow and Eucalyptus are prized for their ability to rapidly reforest damaged areas, at the very least providing shade and shelter.

Rats convey diseases that help thin out people infestations from time to time. Until recently, they served as outstanding human population controls.

People sure like the idea of wild horse herds running about, too. We commonly forget that they're an introduced species to the United States. :D

archman:
Rats convey diseases that help thin out people infestations from time to time. Until recently, they served as outstanding human population controls.

LOL!!!! That's my kind of humour.

archman:
People sure like the idea of wild horse herds running about, too. We commonly forget that they're an introduced species to the United States. :D

Yeah, and so is the white man!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom