United Newark Overnight Layover, what happens to the luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

We have a Newark connection this time around and wanted to know if you have an overnight layover, does United/Newark keep your luggage overnight automatically or are you expected to pick it up in Newark and recheck it in the morning to head to Bonaire? Do you have to request one way or the other, or is it automatic? TIA.

I am assuming that you are going to check your bags through to final destination, which would be my recommendation. Best to check with United's check-in agents or baggage folks for your specific flight itinerary, but normally, if your bag is checked through to final destination, they will separate the bag when it came off the flight from your origination airport (if it actually got there), and put it with the bags going on the next day's connecting flights to Bonaire. Since the final destination is an overseas airport, they will likely put your bag on your flight if "positive bag match" policy applies to Bonaire. If your bag tag shows EWR-IAH-BON, that is the route your bag will likely take. Your situation has happened to me on occasion, and If I wanted to have my bag for the overnight layover, I had to work with the baggage people in the baggage claim section to have my bag brought to me, and then had to recheck it the next day. If you decide to do that, don't expect it to be short process time wise. You could also check your bag to EWR, but I would not recommend that option because you want your bag to get to Bonaire regardless of any diversions/reroutes that you might encounter or baggage delays that might happen to your luggage.
Good luck.

Thanks Altamira! We definitely don't want to recheck it!

It also depends on time of layover. I think if it's more than 12 hours, you can't check it through all the way and will have to get bag at baggage claim and keep with you until 12 hours before to recheck the bag.

We did this layover in December and had to pick up the bags upon arrival at Newark and then recheck them the next morning. The agent told us that we had too long of a layover to check the bags all the way through to Bonaire. we arrived from Raleigh/Durham around 8 pm and left Newark at 7 am the following morning. We stayed at the Newark Marriott and the shuttle was easy. so, the real answer is -it depends. I think it depends on the time of layover-overnight is too long.
Vann

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom