United States Withdraws From UNESCO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
The United States has withdrawn from UNESCO (United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization). UNESCO promotes international cooperation in education, science, culture, and communication”. The member nations propose, review and select World Heritage Sites. These unique sites have cultural, historical, scientific or some other form of significance, and they are legally protected by international treaties. These spots are important to the collective interests of all humanity. The Sea Save Foundation leaders were instrumental in getting Cocos Island listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. UNESCO tweeted "It is deeply regrettable for the US to withdraw from UNESCO, the UN agency promoting education for peace & protecting culture under attack."

Read more here (story #1).

CocosIslandUNESCOTaskForce1990s-low%2Bres.jpg

Although this is distressing, as USA would be a powerful aid if it were to continue to be a full member, and financial supporter, of UNESCO, USA is seeking to be a consultant/observer of some kind.
The reasons for being a full member add up to saving the world heritage treasures, including health of our oceans, while the reasons given for withdrawing are concerns over anti Israel bias, for example designating sites that have both Jewish AND Islamic significance as Palestinian Heritage sites. This seems to be happening with other international agencies as well, as there are many Islamic Nation members, and only one Jewish Nation, and the Jewish Nation has only one friend, the USA.
I wonder if USA will blow off paying the 1/2 billion in back payments owed, or future payments through end date of Dec 2018?

Makes sense to me. Even though Unesco has done good work in the past, it has become quite political and very anti-Israel. In May this year, Israel was infuriated by a resolution identifying Israel as “the occupying power” in the divided of city of Jerusalem. In my opinion that was uncalled for and simply was an inflammatory political statement.

I have seen this before when Israel was accused by UN of a poor women’s rights record by all the member Sharia-law nation’s, which would be hilarious if it was on The Onion, or Saturday Night Live, but this really happened simply due to numerous Islam nations outvoting two nations with progressive women’s rights records.

Back
Top Bottom