University of Texas Maps Lake Huron Shipwrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
a team of oceanographers and marine archaeologists from austin just finished a two-week project in lake huron's national marine sanctuary. they used a purpose built autonomous underwater sonar to scan southeast of 'wreck alley' looking for both undiscovered shipwrecks and possible prehistoric shoreline settlements. very cool! we can expect some interesting finds once all the data is analyzed.

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/10thunderbay/welcome.html

4thunderbayhires.jpg

Is the thing with the bubbles a "purpose built autonomous underwater sonar" or just a POSD... Probably a good thing Aggies weren't involved, otherwise they may have really oversold the whole deal with a James Bond Submarine car...

Charlie
Baylor Class of Too Damn Long Ago

That is some fantastic vis, aren't those Zebra Musseles on the wreck.

Designing the next "best" sonar system never ceases for acoustic engineers. The Applied Research Laboratories (ARL) at the University of Texas, Austin has an exellent program in the subject.

I've done some diving in the St. Lawrence river where all the wrecks are covered in zebra mussels. But their filter-feeding ways have greatly improved the visibility (maybe the only good thing about this infestation). Next summer I'm hoping to have a warmer suit and go to Tobermory which is in Lake Huron, in Ontario, Canada - sub 50F temperatures there year round down around 100'.

Next summer I'm hoping to have a warmer suit and go to Tobermory which is in Lake Huron, in Ontario, Canada - sub 50F temperatures there year round down around 100'.

You may find in fact...the bottom temps range from about 34F to 43F .... just speaking from experience :D

Back
Top Bottom