unknown fish in BC, Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bcsean

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was diving recently off the coast of BC (home), and saw a fish I haven't seen before. First for quite awhile.

Anyway, I don't have a pic, but will describe to the best of my ability. I've searched and can't find a pic either.

Looks like a buffalo sculpin body shape wise, about 1 1/2" - 2" long. It was black, with two distinct white bands between dorsal fin and tail going completely around body. Kinda like a clown fishs bands. Very distinct. Never seen it, can't find it in any books. Any help is appreciated.

Sean

I think you need to catch one. I scanned through fishbase for an hour yesterday and couldn't find anything that looked like what you're describing.

R..

Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time on fishbase too and found nothing. Pretty sure it's not a coelacanth though :p

It's gonna be hard to catch one considering I've only ever seen it once. maybe it'll still be there next time I go back. yeah, right. Maybe a camera next time will help though.

Back
Top Bottom