Unknown silvery fish in Dominica - Help???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy3367

New
Reaction score
I was night diving in Dominica earlier this month and came across a fish I couldn't ID. The divemaster said he thought it was a juvenile African Pompano, but there is no way it was that. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, so hopefully I can describe it well enough.
The fish was about 2.25" long, with a thin but taller body. The head and gills area of the fish was unbelievably shiny silver, as was the tail fin. The midsection of the fish, however, was clear, as in you could see into the fish! The silver parts were also internal, and were so shiny both I and the divemaster thought we had found jewelry. Absolutely gleaming silver, like mercury. The fish was simply lingering on a sandy bottom, by itself, and didn't spook easily. Any help on what this little guy could have been? Thanks.

Andy

What about a lookdown (Selene vomer)? Can't get much thinner than those things, and the size sounds right.

I think the little fish probably was a look down. Aside from the clear midsection that I saw, it looks correct. Also, the depth was about 35' (certainly no more than 45'), so that matches the look down's habitat. I guess I saw a very young one. (I am developing a knack for that, having found a 3mm moral eel in a teeny hole on a wreck in the Bahamas!)

Thanks much,

Andy

Without a picture is difficult to know what fish you're talking about but I suggest check www.reef.org, thay have a bunch of pictures it may be helpfull.

Safe Diving

The
andy3367:
I was night diving in Dominica earlier this month and came across a fish I couldn't ID. The divemaster said he thought it was a juvenile African Pompano, but there is no way it was that. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture, so hopefully I can describe it well enough.
The fish was about 2.25" long, with a thin but taller body. The head and gills area of the fish was unbelievably shiny silver, as was the tail fin. The midsection of the fish, however, was clear, as in you could see into the fish! The silver parts were also internal, and were so shiny both I and the divemaster thought we had found jewelry. Absolutely gleaming silver, like mercury. The fish was simply lingering on a sandy bottom, by itself, and didn't spook easily. Any help on what this little guy could have been? Thanks.

Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom