Unrelenting Whale Wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
The Japanese Whalers are asking for a increase in their operating budget as well as upping the kill estimates. Given the fact that the Japanese economy isn't doing so well (earthquake/recession) the last thing they should even be thinking about is "scientific" whaling foray. If I could divine the future it points to one thing - trouble.

Crazy, 'not losing face', stubborn to the point of stupidity all come to mind. 9,000,000.00 dollars can go a long way to helping seniors in Japan, rebuilding some of the earthquake ravaged areas, education etc. :depressed:

Outrage as Japan ups whale hunt budget - Pretoria News | IOL.co.za

X

I was reading that they plan on bringing security ships this year, should be interesting.

Hi Dennis,

Welcome back.

The security ship stuff is such nonsense and stupidly expensive. Especially in the light of not moving product in Japan, or elsewhere. The amount of diesel everyone is going to burn will be absurd.

Someone is going to hurt with butyric acid bullet to the face.

Any time national pride and prerogative get involved, trivial things like cost and human impact seem to go out the window.

All the best, James

Cheers James. In February the Japanese Minister of Ag/Fisheries declared an end to whaling. I just wonder who changed his mind? Given the newly recycled Japanese cabinet and faceless prime minister it's little wonder the war is being renewed. The heightened dialog about security points to a dysfunctional government run by hard liners who can't see beyond 'national pride' or shame after being squashed by Sea Shepherds who they view as sea-going hippies/anarchists.

The deep pockets and political clout of the hard liners undercuts what should be reasonable decisions in financially constrained times - quit the highly controversial/pocket-draining practice of commercial whaling.

What I can't believe is that Australia offered Japan aid after the quake without the contingency of "if you stop whaling in OUR waters we will help your country..." Kick em when they're down...at least until you get what you want.

Hopefully it isn't too many more seasons before they realize the world is mostly against whaling.

What I can't believe is that Australia offered Japan aid after the quake without the contingency of "if you stop whaling in OUR waters we will help your country..." Kick em when they're down...at least until you get what you want.

Hopefully it isn't too many more seasons before they realize the world is mostly against whaling.

The AUSSIE's have that 'down under' big heart. Good on em' That said Peter - you're right. Too bad there was no way to pressure them to do the right thing.

There is no new news on whether the Japanese Diet has approved this expenditure. Since it the Diet and new gray suit PM are mostly lockstep politicians good chance it will be approved. Come this winter expect some real ugly stuff to occur. :depressed:

X

I've been following this for a while - relief money ($29,000,000) from the quake is going towards a renewed effort at the Antarctic. There is still a lot of recovery needed in the area and they go and waste their money on this!!! As I have proposed before - the whaling lobby in Japan is quite powerful and able to control whatever politician comes in. Until that old (imbecile) guard goes - we'll this this level of 'Bozonity' :dork: every year.

Japan Earmarks $29 Million of Tsunami Fund to Revive Whaling Industry | Global Spin | TIME.com

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom