Unusual info request...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

np251

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey Everyone

I am moving from the UK to Stanford, Palo Alto in a month...and have my AOW booked in Monterey in mid august.

My unusual info request is this- i have absolutely no idea how to get from A-B. Is there a rail/bus service that wouldnt be too much hassle to get, or is it a bit more complicated than that.

The reason i ask, is that i am also weighing up the pros/cons of buying a car and because i was hoping to get to Monterey once a month. Initially, is it realistic to get public transport for the first few months, or am i best buddying up with someone with their own wheels :wink:

cheers for any input...

About the only place you can get by without a car is San Francisco. And getting around by bus could be a major pain. I would vote for getting a car. Plus there is a lot to see here in California and for that a car is the best way to do it on your own schedule.

A student at Stanford can get by with a bike. I did for four years. But if you want to
take off for Monterey, you are going to need a car, or a buddy with a car.

To my knowledge, there is not a SCUBA club on campus. There did used to be.

Having returned from London just a couple of weeks ago, and being impressed with your "Tube" or "Underground" system, I can say, without hesitation, that you'll need a car here. We don't have anything even remotely close to that. Steal rides for awhile, then buy a car-even a cheap beater car if you must.

living in california w/ out a car?!?! HA! this is a joke right???
seriously though, you definately need a car around here... or a buddy w/ a car, or a buddy, w/out a car when you have 1 (so he gives you the gas $). point is, you can't get very far w/ out some motorized equiptment

You can always do the bike thing like Chuck suggested for most of your stuff and rent when you want to dive or explore. A lot of folks in SF do this regularly.

np251:
Hey Everyone

I am moving from the UK to Stanford, Palo Alto in a month...and have my AOW booked in Monterey in mid august.

My unusual info request is this- i have absolutely no idea how to get from A-B. Is there a rail/bus service that wouldnt be too much hassle to get, or is it a bit more complicated than that.

The reason i ask, is that i am also weighing up the pros/cons of buying a car and because i was hoping to get to Monterey once a month. Initially, is it realistic to get public transport for the first few months, or am i best buddying up with someone with their own wheels :wink:

cheers for any input...

Hi NP,
I moved to the States five years ago. In Missouri we had no problem buying a car (cash!), but had to have a US licence to insure it and so drive it legally. Since 9/11 the rules about non-US citizens getting a drivers licence have been tightened to the point of bondage. If you're coming over on a legit work or student visa you should be able to get a licence, but will need to take your passport (with visa) and I-94 to the State Motor vehicle licensing department/bureau. You'll probably have to take both the written and driving tests. In MO and OH there's no charge for the testing, but you do have to pay for the licence - a lot cheaper than the UK!

Oh, to answer your question - you'll need a car!
Cheers!

As a native Californian, I gotta tell you, if it is more than 3 houses away, we drive! Walking and Biking etc is for exercise. Well, at least it used to be that way.

We are a very car oriented society in California. For local stuff in and around Stanford a bicycle would be a great (and cheaper) way to get around. However, the public transit systems are not wonderful around here. (I use Light Rail on occasion)

However, there are a lot of divers in the Bay Area and if you make friends, you might be able to get rides from people for various dive adventures.

Just some random thoughts.

Wristshot

Cars and petrol being what they are (= headaches, albatrosses), you may want to get a bike for tooling around town, and then rent a car for dive weekends. Even better, team up with some other folks who dive Monterey and carpool.
I haven't owned a car for many years, and I'm so glad. I live in San Freaksicko though, so Muni, Bart, CalTrain & friends take me everywhere I need to go.... :wink:

Welcome to the Golden State!

Let me know when you get to Palo Alto. Perhaps I could meet you in Monterey sometime once your transportation is sorted out. I live in Davis (work at UC Davis) so Palo Alto is not on nthe way. The advice that you need a car (own or rental) or a good buddy, is sound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom