Unusual salvage dive between storms!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Not much diving going on, so here's the only one I made this week around Tampa Bay.

I made a salvage dive for a guy who runs a business with binocular viewing machines. Some vandals had rolled one of his Great Depression era viewers off the Redington pier about 2 weeks ago. Nobody new exactly where it was, but they're cast iron and weigh about 200 lbs so I figured is wasn't far from where it was mounted.

Found it freediving on about my 7th dive, in about 3 ft visibility. But that was the easy part. 3 guys on the pier could not pull it up as I expected so I tanked up and rigged a 100 lbs lift bag to it and ran the line through the scupper of my kayak. We got it up and worked around the pier to a davit lift. Found out my cheapo lift bag doesn't actual have seams like a BC bladder, so once about 3/4 full it starts to leak slowly, but it was still enough to float it and drag it around to the electric lift.

Here's Jerry & Yvonne with the viewer, which reminded me of ET looking up at me, when I found it laying on the bottom. They were celebrating their 60th anniversary that day too!

Chad

Attachments

• DSC04381crsw.JPG
    DSC04381crsw.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC04376 crsw.JPG
    DSC04376 crsw.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC04373crsw.JPG
    DSC04373crsw.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 150
Is that from the company located in Fairhope AL?

We have a wreck off Sarasota. Do you have any old wrecks around St. Pete or Tampa? Do you know Joe Hines? Fizz

Is that from the company located in Fairhope AL?

No, the Tower Optical Co. is out of Norwalk, CT.

I've seen these things in a few photos since finding out about them... they are all over the place.

Chad

We have a wreck off Sarasota. Do you have any old wrecks around St. Pete or Tampa? Do you know Joe Hines? Fizz

There are many wrecks offshore from the Tampa Bay area. You'll find links on my publications page on my website (Florida Skin Diver) to some St Pete Times stories about some of the wrecks.

Several are also reported on the AUE website linked from my site. Mike Barnette is a local wreck expert and author of 2 published FL shipwrecks books.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom