Unusual Tank....Stumped on size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

porbeagle

Contributor
Reaction score
Greetings, I picked up a bunch of steel 72s (5) for short money last week.
Well, the seller threw in a tank which I've never seen before...... Here is a
description.
Steel
20 1/2" from bottom to top of neck
7" diameter
concave bottom (stands upright) not rounded
lCC 3AA 2015
R 300227

soco CR.MO.
6 54

3 62
5 67
4 73
7 79

So this tells me it is rated 2015 psI, was made june 54, hydro again march 62
may 67, april 73 and july 79.
So what is the CF, and who made it.,what is CR.MO. ???
anybody?
Thanks, PORBEAGLE :confused:

:bangboom: Sounds like a 55 yr old door stop... Want to see a tank explode? this would be a the one...

For your curiosity's sake, here's the formula to calculate volume of a cylinder:
Cylinder Volume

CR. MO.: Would be Chrome Molybdenum steel, which happens to be the material specified under 3AA codes.

The tank was probably originally design for a fire extinguisher, but many were converted into Scuba tanks.

I have no idea of the volume, but the easiest (and most precise) way to find out is to measure the internal water volume since you are going to have it hydro tested anyway. The hydro test facility may (or should) be able to do that for you.

:bangboom: Sounds like a 55 yr old door stop... Want to see a tank explode? this would be a the one...

That is totally incorrect. There is absolutely no physical, engineering, or any technical basis for that statement.

That tank can be hydro tested and will probably pass hydro under the exact same code as a brand new tank.

Age (on itself) has absolutely no effect on a steel tank.

We used to see these back in the day. It's a C02 tank for fire, soda jerk or beer keg. It should be about 40 cf.

For your curiosity's sake, here's the formula to calculate volume of a cylinder:
Cylinder Volume

Ridiculous comment, I have several tanks 50 years and older I use.

I have had lds comment on some of my old steel tanks,they seemed nervous to fill them,I told them that the alum. tanks they were filling would make me more uncomfortable than my 45 year old steel tanks. I think they are grouping the old alum. tanks with the old steel tanks.

I have a couple of similar tanks. Mine are rated at 2265 and have "shatterproof" on them. I suspect they are old aircraft O2 bottles. In any case if they pass hydro they are going to become a cute set of doubles.

Steel cylinders last almost indefinitely. Recently I saw a 3aa 2015 cyl with a mfg date of 1911 and nearly 20 hydro dates since. It was used for compressed air for an emission test machine. If a large company with deep pockets like praxair doesn't have a problem with filling them, why should we?

Back
Top Bottom