Unwanted Teeth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the best place to get those small bags is a coin shop. They usually sell bundles of them pretty cheap.

One possible suggestion to help save you some money is that you might also want to consider adding rib fragments and and earbones to your presentation to show and give away. Although the kids all like teeth, they get almost as much out of the ribs and ear fossils, especially the younger ones. When you show a picture of the whole skeletal structure with those areas highlighted in red, then pull out a box full of pieces to give away their eyes light up. I started doing this when my supply of teeth started getting low and was surprised by the positive reaction.

Also, the earbones and ribs stand up very well to handling and aren't as easily lost or broken, and are in almost unlimited supply. Of course they don't make such great necklaces...

It's encouraging to hear there are so many people that also share their teeth with kids!

Does anyone know where to get those little ziplocks that are about 1" X 2"? One of the things I've found (and get feedback on) is that after I leave, invariably there are a couple of kids who lose theirs and are upset. I started giving two each and then three each away, and then just leaving a handful with the teacher or scout leader of the group I visit. I thought about those little baggies like you see on "Cops" type shows when they do a drug bust, but I can't find them available anywhere retail. To be honest I hate to ask as I don't want someone to get the wrong idea (this is a really small town). I haven't tried ebay I guess.

I started just bringing in a shoebox and letting the kids pick some out, but I found my supplies quickly dwindled when there wasn't a throttle in place. Invariably there are a few kids that grab as many as they can. It would be nice to be able to put a couple or three each in a bag before arrival. I tried old film containers, but they're too big and too useful (and I don't have that many).

Not related, but airplanes are a great place to have a bag of teeth. I do the Orlando inbound flights a lot and when the weather gets rough and kids start getting scared, its nice for them to get a distraction, particularly when they're coming in for a vacation. It's amazing how quickly the tears dry up when you hand the parents a couple of teeth to give their children. I usually pick out the imperfect ones for this as they get beat up in my carry on anyway, but the kids don't seem to mind. Also, it forces me to cull out all those cups full of fossils my wife complains are 'cluttering up the darn china cabinet'.

Fantastic ideas. And I certainly wouldn't say your post is off-topic in the slightest. :no: I'd say were working together as a community that has a common interest and are sharing our thoughts and ideas :D Love the airplane idea!

Now FB may know where to get those lil baggies since she also does shows and things. I'm sure she'll be chiming in soon.

Thanks for the post.

edit: Good thinking puddlediver. Also Daddy I did not delete your post as I thought it was useful for the spirit of the thread.

You guys are the best. Thanks you for your help. The kids thank you as well. There is nothing like when your in the class room and you see the kids eyes. It brings lots of joy to me.

I agree with msd. Also I want to thank you for the necklace you gave me for my mother in law. She will love it beyond words.:D:D

Those bags are at walmart and Michaels craft store. That is where I get mine. I found walmart is cheaper, but the ones from Michaels are thicker. Hope that this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom