Up .... or .... down ??????????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I am having a senior moment here....actually it has dragged out for a while now.

I have valves on my tanks that has the handle allowing you a reserve. Run out of air...flip the handle...got air.

I always dive with them in the position where they are open and not holding a reserve....but....the tanks have been moved and I have one handle up....and one handle down...(on two tanks of course) ... and I cant remember which position the handle should be in to not hold back a reserve.

Anyone not having a senior moment and remembers??
Man, getting old is a female dog. So much for the golden years.

RICHinNC once bubbled...
Anyone not having a senior moment and remembers??
Only the folks prone to senior moments will remember this one! :)

Handle up to start the dive, pull down to release the reserve.

So start handle DOWN to NOT have a reserve.

Roak

J-valves

You could wire the valve in the down position. I know some who still have those valves who have done it. They haven't said anything about it causing any problems.

This scared the dickens out of a buddy of mine. Put a reg on the tank and take a couple of quick deep breaths. If you have it in the "reserve" position, the SPG will swing fairly wide, say 3000 down to 2000 and back up . In the non-reserve position, it does not move. This worried me at first but my equipment tech assures me it's normal. It's a great way to see if your buddy is watching your air. hehehe

I'm not old enough, nor have I been diving long enough to have used one of them, but I know they got their name by the letter that identified them in the catalog on page XXX.

Valve down to have the reserve "opened"...or not have the reserve.

My first tank (72) came with a J-valve. First thing my instructor told me was to pull the valve rod down and leave it in that position. Many years later I would see divers with those tanks that had the valve wired in the down position.

quarryrat once bubbled...
First thing my instructor told me was to pull the valve rod down and leave it in that position.
You musta had one of them thar new-fangled SPGs. There were just starting to show up on the scene when I started. Typical dive was dive until breathing became difficult, pull the rod and surface.

Roak

appreciate it all.......excuse me...i am off to home depot for some wire....

Back
Top Bottom