Upcoming Freeport, Grand Bahama Island Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jl_va_21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be diving GBI next week and thought I'd share my planned itinerary in case anybody had any tips. Its a short trip with limited diving time so I want to get the best dives out of it that I can. I've got a Shark feeding dive and a night dive planned with UNEXSO and then a two tank trip with Caribbean Divers. What should I expect from these dives? I have never been diving in the Bahamas before.

In general what are dive conditions like in June? Any insider suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

The diving is easy, laid back, warm, and you might see sharks on all of them. Expect 40-60 foot sandy bottoms for most dives. Deeper if you do the Theo wreck. Dives should be light to no current except for maybe the Theo.

Expect to have fun. The visibility isn't Cayman-esque, but the large sharks, grouper, rays, etc come in close to see if you have food. My brother did his checkout dives in Grand Bahama and saw dolphins there on his first open water dive ever.

Have a good time.

My wife and I always dive with Grand Bahama Scuba Fred and Melinda are great to dive with.

Their shark dives are awesome. They also dive a nice mix of reefs and wrecks. They don't have a regular schedule for night dives, but if there are enough divers it can be arranged.

If you call ahead arrangements can be made for transportation from.... and back to your hotel.

They've been rated #1 in the Bahamas 2 years in a row!! Try them............you will not be disapointed.

I have been here diving with UNEXSO since early June,I will still be here next week when you get here, ask for Jim. as for diving... the ocean is about 83 deg (bath water) vis has been great, water is flat as a pancake and currents little if any. you will love the Unexso shark dive,and Caribbean Divers are also good folks to work with. bring sun block and have a ball.

Dive Safe

Jim

You're down there now huh? Cool, I can't wait to join you! Any word down there about the weather next week. Forecast is looking a little stormy, but I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I'll be diving on Wednesday afternoon/night and Thursday morning.

the weather is sunny and hot..... seems to rain every afternoon for a hour and then clears right up.looks like the same for next week.life is good.

Jim

Wow, it was a great trip! I was there with the family for a beach vacation and so I only squeezed in a few dives, but they were good ones.

Shark Dive - it was fantastic. I highly recommend it to anyone. I had a great time on this one... the conditions were perfect, warm water, 75 ft vis, and sharks everywhere.

Night Dive - Went to Papa Docs. I'm still pretty new at night diving and I'm still not 100% converted, but this was an interesting dive site and made for a good dive. At one point we turned off our lights and waved our hands to stir up the phosporescence... pretty cool.

My dives with Caribbean Diver got cancelled since I was apparently the only one willing to sign up for any of there 3 trips that day, so I added one more with UNEXSO, which was an afternoon 1-tank trip to...

Ann's Paradise - This was a great site. Lots and lots of places to explore in between various coral formations. A very large site. Saw my first Lionfish too.

Overall the diving on GBI was great. I think this may have this was the least current I've ever experienced while ocean diving. It makes for very easy and flexible diving. Water temps ranged from 79-81 on my three dives.

I was really happy with UNEXSO. They seem to run a first class operation. Their boat crews were excellent. I thought the divemasters did a very good job of managing the dives - from a detailed briefing and all through the dive. They largely let us explore while occasionally steering us back in the right direction when needed. They also managed air-time very well. Making sure that quick consumers got to see the whole site, but letting slower breathers look around a little longer where possible before ascending. The shop, pool, restaurant were all pretty nice too.

Sorry i missed you,
I was doing the 2 tank morning dives, glad you enjoyed yourself

Dive safe

Jim

Here are some pics for you all...

freeport_09_026.jpg

freeport_09_017.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom