Upcoming Open Water Dives, and Concerns with Mask Clearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ashmai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Although I have been reading the forums here for a couple months now, this is my first post. Thanks to the community for all the invaluable information.

My wife and I recently decided to start scuba diving. Skydiving was frowned upon by my wife and for some reason she thinks that being in an environment we know less about the moon, is safer :) So we signed up for our classrooms, hit the pool, and now have our 4 open water dives planned for the week after next at Catalina Island, CA.

First I should say that I have always felt comfortable in the water. I was a lifeguard for a couple years when I was younger, and even now feel very comfortable in the water although before now, never have dove with scuba gear. My wife and I cruised through the confined dives feeling very confident, until I had a unexpected issue with my mask that I can't seem to forget.

The first mask clearing went without hitch in 5 feet of water... Basically a test run (I felt it was more for my wife, than myself as she expressed concern with mask clearing). I tilted my head back, calmly blew air through my nose and before I knew it my mask was clear of water and back on my face. The instructor had us go down to about 10 feet to mask clear again and I was anxious this time to prove to myself how easy this clearing business actually was. However, as I calmly pulled my mask off my face and put it back on my head I tilted my head back and blew air out my nose. I let the mask fully surround my face again and sure enough could see fine, no water... So I thought... In the bottom of my mask, barely above my nostril level there must have been a small amount of water in the mask. I attempted to pull the mask closer to my head to create that nice suction feeling by breathing the air into my nose, but to my horror only water went down... This immediately put me into a coughing state of panic that urged me QUICKLY to the top where I continued to cough for roughly 3 minutes non-stop... Water down the wrong pipe... After I cleared my lungs and regained my composure it suddenly hit me, "If I was 60 feet down, I would have just died".

My wife and I easily completed the rest of the course, but not without heavy thought in regards to the mask clearing indecent. Although I know I can do it, I am very nervous about the same situation happening in the future and lose a bit of sleep over it (i know, sounds retarded...). I guess my question is this. If you are underwater, and for some reason take in a gulp of water that puts you into that heavy cough where you suck air in for minutes at a time, will the regulator be able to handle the massive amounts of coughing / air intake that I will need to keep breathing? Also, would it help to plug your nose in the case of coughing uncontrollably underwater, to prevent the cough bringing in more water through your nose?

I don't know why I can't stop thinking about this. I guess the reality check of how much I desired being at the surface when I was coughing threw me off a bit. If I can tell myself that the regulator can handle it, and perhaps tips that would make it mentally easier would help.

It sucks I have this hurdle, as everything else went so smoothly. I may add that I have since cleared my mask 3 - 5 more times without issue. Doesn't make it less intimidating.

Sorry for the long post, but greatly appreciate community feedback. Can't wait to get certified in a couple weeks.

From Arizona,
Ash

As for your question about whether the regulator will handle the breathing while in a coughing fit due to inhaling a bit of water. It really depends on the regulator. A balanced regulator will tend to give air a bit more freely than an unbalanced one. However in the depth of a pool, the difference would most likely minute. At 20m (60ft) down, it could be another story. It can also depend on how the regulator is tuned. In the depth of a pool, chances are, yes, it probably could handle the breathing load.
One thing I suggest to students when they are learning to clear their masks is, any time they are not exhaling from the nose, is for them to quickly tuck their chin against their chest, the best they can. By pulling the chin back down, it will help prevent (not always stop, though) water from going up the nose. Also do not attempt to inhale through the nose until all the water is out of the mask. Maintain airway control (separate the mouth from the nose) until you can feel that there is no water in the mask, the nerves of the nose are usually sensitive enough to detect it. The big thing with mask clearing is just to take your time to do it. A lot of new divers want to rush through it because having even a little water in or around the nose, is uncomfortable. The best way to become comfortable with mask clearing is practice, practice, practice, but don't think it to death.. Even if it is with a snorkel, the physical mechanics are the same. If you can. take time to practice if several more times until you do get comfortable with the skill.

One more tidbit for you - Don't attempt to suck the mask tight with your nose :wink:

Really, when you are under water, there is plenty of pressure holding the mask to your face. There is no need to use that method to snug it up. If you really feel the need to do this, simply press the mask to your face a little, same effect - and the water will definitely hold it in place. Don't worry - you will do great!

Just to reassure you about the reg. I've had coughing, and sneezing fits both underwater at depths greater than 60fsw with no problems getting enough air. It might be different in cold water conditions where high air demand can cause free freeflow, but for most purposes coughing won't be a problem except that the wasted air will shorten your dive.

Also, now that you've experimented with snorting water from your mask, I'd guess it's a mistake you won't repeat. It's very easy to feel that bit of water at the tip of your nose, and know when you need to clear more completely.

Last edited:
I had kind of the same problem and know just what you mean when you say "Although I know I can do it, I am very nervous about the same situation happening in the future and lose a bit of sleep over it". I can tell you it is NOT retarted, it is how you feel and how I felt. My issue was mask removal, but the same all in all because I sucked water through my nose. It was rough and then when I was under water doing what needed to be done for my classes I could be just fine, then my instructor would signal it was time to do mask skills and that senario I had would instantly play over and over in my head and I would freeze up. Plain and simple it SUCKS! I can only tell you what worked for me and thats practice practice practice. It is something you need to master because as you said if it happens 60, 70, 80 or 200 feet deep there is no shooting to the surface (without serious issues). You will get it and it is mind over matter. You have done it many times since then and you have been fine. I think it will always replay in your mind but again miond over matter. You can do it and welcome to diving!

There will frequently be a small amount of water in the nose pocket - no big deal, you will get accustomed to this, and it will become second nature to clear. However, no inhaling through nose under water please. Mask does not need to be pulled to your face - there will be several atmospheres of pressure holding it in place. Other than choking you to death inhaling won't help.

Your problem reminds me of a young lady who posted a similar problem in 2000. Here's my answer to her. If you work on it and practice it, it will help you become so comfortable with mask clearing and no mask breathing that you won't give it another thought, it'll be second nature.

Another bit of advice:

Before you go to Catalina (where, BTW, you'll have a GREAT time!), practice swimming around in the pool (or even walking around the house) with a partially filled mask. Once you get the breathing only by mouth thing down, a partially filled, fully filled or even missing mask, will only be an annoyance and not a cause for any sort of panic-related issue.

And welcome to the world of diving!!

Thanks a million guys, I can't believe how many people use this forum. I really think these responses will help me out dramatically.

Again, thanks a ton.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom