Upcoming Trip to Dahab

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newfie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm planning my first trip to Dahab next week and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm very flexible as far as accommodation is concerned but it has to be clean and (large) insect free. I was thinking Bedouin Moon Hotel largely based on what's been said already on this board (although Nesima among others look quite good as well). Any comments on this point? If I stay at BMH I'll likely be diving with reef2000. From what I've read here and judging from their responsiveness in answering my questions I don't think I'll have a problem there.

I understand that a local divemaster must accompany me on all dives. I guess solo diving is out (I'm traveling single BTW) so I should leave the pony bottle at home right?

A day or two of boat diving would be good. What do you think? Ras Mohammed? Is the Thistlegorm worth the trip?

Should I take lots of bakeesh with me on each dive?

Finding a pub showing the hockey games is probably asking too much hey?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

N.

Hi!

Haven't been there myself, but my parents have. They stayed at the BMH and had a great time!

They told me to food is great and super super cheap, diveinstructor 'Ahmed' is very cool and that you have to get at least 50% of every price if you look like a tourist. And yes, they want 'bakeesh' for every thing, haha... Watch out!

I'll have to find out about their diveschool, but feel free to ask me some questions, I'll pass them on and send the answers back to you.

Just checked with them. Yup. The hotel is simple, but clean and insect free, and the people there are all very nice.

No need for lots of 'bakeesh' on the dives. The dove with reef2000 and thought they were very professional. You're right about a DM going with you to most of the divesites.

Next to the boat diving, they also told me that 'camel-diving' (camel instead of jeep) is a lot of fun.

Hope this helped,

have fun!

Pauline:
Just checked with them. Yup. The hotel is simple, but clean and insect free, and the people there are all very nice.

No need for lots of 'bakeesh' on the dives. The dove with reef2000 and thought they were very professional. You're right about a DM going with you to most of the divesites.

Next to the boat diving, they also told me that 'camel-diving' (camel instead of jeep) is a lot of fun.

Hope this helped,

have fun!

It has Pauline. Thanks very much.

N.

Agree with Pauline, no need to take baksheesh for diving - at least for the Dahab shore dived tipping the DM is not common. On the boat dives from Sharm I think you do tip the crew.
The BMH looks nice and Reef 2000 have a good reputation, the only problem is that they are a good bit outside Dahab, so you'll need some form of transport (taxi) if you want to leave your resort. Nesima is a lot more central, close to where all the restaurants and the few bars are. I think'd go for Nesima over BMH if the price was o.k.

As for boat dives from Sharm - the Thistlegorm is an interesting dive, but it gets VERY congested inside the wreck, so it can be a real pain. I think it is really best done on a mini-live-aboard from Shar, so that you can dive it either early in the morning before the day boats get there, or in the afternoon when everyone else has left. I did two dive on the wreck in the morning followed by one afternoon dive at Ras Mohammed (Shark Reef to Yolanda Reef) and I actaully preferred that dive to the wreck.

We just returned last week from Dahab. The hotel and dive center you mention have good reputations - not where we stayed/dived however. If you are paying more than $15.00 Us/nite -you are probably paying too much.

BMH IS north of town - bad for going to town - good for going to Bells/Blue hole - probably the most famous (and along with Canyon- the best) dive in Dahab. Plead with your DM to take you to Bells and Canyon early. They jeep tourists up from Sharm and it gets to be a madhouse!

There is only one ( that I'm aware of) boat doing boat trips out of Dahab - they take you to Gabr el Bint, usually a 3 tank day and well worth it. You can get to Gabr el Bint by camel I think also. There is also a camel dive North of Bells - the name escapes me.

We also booked a day trip to Sharm and did the two dives on the Thislegorm, one on Yolanda and were VERY impressed although it is a bit of a cluster at thistlegorm. Words of wisdom - pay attention to the color of your mooring line if you go to thislegorm!

I hope this helps - enjoy!

Newfie:
I'm planning my first trip to Dahab next week and I'm looking for some advice.

I'm very flexible as far as accommodation is concerned but it has to be clean and (large) insect free. I was thinking Bedouin Moon Hotel largely based on what's been said already on this board (although Nesima among others look quite good as well). Any comments on this point? If I stay at BMH I'll likely be diving with reef2000. From what I've read here and judging from their responsiveness in answering my questions I don't think I'll have a problem there.

I understand that a local divemaster must accompany me on all dives. I guess solo diving is out (I'm traveling single BTW) so I should leave the pony bottle at home right?

A day or two of boat diving would be good. What do you think? Ras Mohammed? Is the Thistlegorm worth the trip?

Should I take lots of bakeesh with me on each dive?

Finding a pub showing the hockey games is probably asking too much hey?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

N.

I got back from Dahab two weeks ago. We stayed at the Bedouin Moon and dived with Reef2000, and thoroughly enjoyed it - it was our second visit this year.

BMH is clean, simple and very friendly. It's a taxi ride into town, which costs EP10-15 (US$1.60-2.40). Eating out is very cheap, there were 5 in our party this time and the most we paid for dinner was EP150 ($24) for everyone. Most restaurants do not sell alcoholic drinks, but you can take your own in with you.

Diving: no need for "baksheesh" on every dive. I dived with the same dive guide every day and I gave him a tip on the last day. All dives are guided, local regulations. Never more than 6 divers in a group though. Best dive sites imo are the Canyon, Bells/Blue hole (though it gets very crowded there) and Glassfish Pinnacle.

We went on the boat trip to Gabr el Bint, cost an extra 50 euros over a normal day's diving. The camel safari that TEERLKAY mentions is to Ras Abu Gallum - it's about 1 1/2 hours on a camel to a Bedouin village, 2 dives and lunch, then another 1 1/2 hours on a camel again. Camels are possibly the most uncomfortable means of transport ever devised, I walked most of the way back :( There's a report on the camel safari here.

Lots of places do trips to the Thistlegorm, but it's a VERY early start from Dahab. If you intend to dive the Thistlegorm or Ras Mohammed, you will need an Egyptian visa, available at the airport when you arrive, at a cost of £15 each. Otherwise just fill in your entry card and write "Sinai Only" on the reverse, save yourself some money and avoid the queue for visas.

Enjoy your trip, I wish I was going back with you.

I worked there last year as DM, and yes, you do need a DM for the dives. There are quite a few good dives from Dahab. All shore dives. Ras Abu Galum is a camel safari and is a whole day (2 dives) or you can stay longer. The Canyon is one of my favourite dives, usually done after a dive at the Blue Hole. The Lighthouse right in Dahab is another I also enjoy. The Islands is very popular, not so many fish in my opinion, but great coral canyons. For a boat dive, the Thisltlegorm and Ras Mohammad, the reefs in Tiran Strait. They are your main ones. Accomodation is plentiful and I don't think I ever saw any insects while there, too hot, too dry. Just watch out for the Stone fish when swimming across the reef in the shallow.

I haven't been to Dahab since 2000. Reef 2000, if it is still owned by Dave and Rochelle, I'm sure will be fantastic. I met Dave and Rochelle in '96 at Club Red, they went on to open Reef 2000. Don't get out of town without diving the Canyon at night.The Canyon is one of the most special places on earth (oops, I mean underwater).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom