Upgrade Mk11 to Mk17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milbournosphere

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My Mk11 came with a C200 regulator, which means it's got the white plastic trim that Scubapro seemed to think was a good idea at the time. The weekly salt water diving has turned the pristine white into a vanilla-gone-bad kind color. I have to take the reg in for service soon and was speaking with the tech at the shop. He mentioned that he could replace the trim with the standard black when I bring it in for service and since he was ordering a black C300 cover (C200 cover is only available in white and yellow) for the second stage, he'd just get all the parts in to upgrade the second stage C200 to a C300.

I've heard subtle and quiet references to the ability to upgrade a Mk11 to a Mk17 by adding the parts for the sealed chamber. Is this possible? I've been told that the only difference between the two is the dry chamber, which is facilitated by the sealed end cap on the Mk17. Since the tech is upgrading my second stage for me, how hard is it to upgrade the Mk11 to the Mk17 while he's at it? Is that a reasonable request to make, to request that the tech order the parts in and put them on, since the reg will be disassembled for service anyway?

My advice is to contact the tech and ask what it would cost to do it. Looking at the schematics the part numbers for the regulator body are the same, so I would assume that one can be upgraded to another. Although I am not sure why you want to do it.

It can absolutely be done. I contemplated doing that myself. However, ive dove my mk11 all winter in water as cold as 45° with no problems whatsoever...so I cant really justify the expense. If I was diving water any colder, I would definitely consider the upgrade.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Although I am not sure why you want to do it.

Because it's 6 better, obviously :cool2:. More seriously, I was just pondering the idea. I dive a lot and would eventually like to do some cold water diving, so I suppose I'm thinking forward a little bit. If the parts aren't too 'spensive, I thought it couldn't hurt. Tony87, have you looked into how much the parts cost? I am pretty happy with my Mk11, so I'm fine either way; I was mainly pondering it because the tech would be upgrading the second stage already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom