Question Upgrade to XDeep Rec or Tec for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As in a second bolt snap for Al cylinders or something else?

To be clear the below examples work for me with 2x cylinders for recreational diving

When I'm donning my cylinders I will use the top bolt snap to suspend the cylinder and stand up, then Ill connect the lower bolt snap. Once in the water Ill remove the top bolt snap and wrap the bungee around the valve. This keeps the cylinders nice and tidy for me.

When I'm on a boat I will attach the top bolt snap, and leave the lower bolt snap unclipped. This allows the cylinders to hang in front of my body (not at my sides, so I'm not wider than normal). I typically do not enter the water with my mask on (its bolt snapped to my bcd), this allows me to hold onto each cylinder as I enter the water. Once in the water I will connect the lower bolt snap, remove the upper bolt snap, and wrap the bungees around the valve.

Using the above process I am able to get into the water a bit quicker than my recreational backmount buddies and I'm usually ready to go when they are.

To be clear the below examples work for me with 2x cylinders for recreational diving

When I'm donning my cylinders I will use the top bolt snap to suspend the cylinder and stand up, then Ill connect the lower bolt snap. Once in the water Ill remove the top bolt snap and wrap the bungee around the valve. This keeps the cylinders nice and tidy for me.

When I'm on a boat I will attach the top bolt snap, and leave the lower bolt snap unclipped. This allows the cylinders to hang in front of my body (not at my sides, so I'm not wider than normal). I typically do not enter the water with my mask on (its bolt snapped to my bcd), this allows me to hold onto each cylinder as I enter the water. Once in the water I will connect the lower bolt snap, remove the upper bolt snap, and wrap the bungees around the valve.

Using the above process I am able to get into the water a bit quicker than my recreational backmount buddies and I'm usually ready to go when they are.
About to start SM training which I will dive from boats and this writeup was very helpful!! Thank you.

I am currently diving a SMS75, I dive both 5mm wetsuit and drysuit (with drysuit becoming more and more the preference year round). I use either my LP72s or my LP50s for my sidemount diving. I'm diving off the coast of Southern California, USA with dreams of diving some of the wrecks in Lake Huron and Lake Superior in the near future (2-5 years).

Should I keep training with my SMS75 or upgrade to an XDeep BCD? I'm planning to TDI sidemount and TDI intro to tech this year. I haven't had any issues with my SMS75 but I'm not too sure its up for the task of 4 cylinders deep diving maybe, hopefully I'm wrong. I know one guy who said he had 6 cylinders on his SMS75 and that was his limit for the BCD.

With my SMS75 in a drysuit and LP50s I'm using 20lbs of lead.
Honestly I would just keep diving the SMS75 in a drysuit. The biggest issue you are going to have in the Great Lakes is right now you are only adept diving sidemount off a boat with basically the smallest cylinders. Those aren't going to pass muster for deco diving in the Great Lakes.

Honestly there is nothing in the Great Lakes needing sidemount at all and its a giant pita on some charters with small doorways or in rough weather. Adding deco tanks is just making that issue worse.

Honestly I would just keep diving the SMS75 in a drysuit. The biggest issue you are going to have in the Great Lakes is right now you are only adept diving sidemount off a boat with basically the smallest cylinders. Those aren't going to pass muster for deco diving in the Great Lakes.

Honestly there is nothing in the Great Lakes needing sidemount at all and its a giant pita on some charters with small doorways or in rough weather. Adding deco tanks is just making that issue worse.
I think he wants confirmation rather than advice. He'll have to learn this the hard/expensive way and as soon as he switches form the kiddy tanks to bigger main tanks plus stages... he'll know...

About to start SM training which I will dive from boats and this writeup was very helpful!! Thank you.
To add:
DMs on the boat are there to help. Ask them to hand tanks down to you/pass them back up to them prior to getting geared up and come up with a plan. I happily do this for people when I (now rarely) DM, as it generally speeds up getting everyone off/back on the boat. Granted, its not great in rough seas/some current, but 80% of the time its super easy.

For boat entry, SILESIA on FB has 2 good videos about it. Use 2 boltsnaps to secure your tank necks and clip the low tank boltsnaps on the square drop Dring behind first (not directly to your sliding Dring) to easily don your tanks and move easily if needed. Could manage it on an (indonesian) jukung boat !
I am very happy of my Tec Stealth but would now go for the db (double bladder)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom