Upgrade your own Oly Firmware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangeBloke

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
In case you didn't already know, 'cos I didn't before today, you can update the firmware on some the Olympus cameras by yourself. Take a look here http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/firmware_fl.htm

The updates will normally be bug fixes or improvements to how the camera does things

I believe this is only supported from the C5060 and forward.

orangeBloke:
In case you didn't already know, 'cos I didn't before today, you can update the firmware on some the Olympus cameras by yourself. Take a look here http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/firmware_fl.htm

The updates will normally be bug fixes or improvements to how the camera does things

Olympus website:
Target model
C-350 ZOOM, µ[mju:] 300 Digital, µ[mju:] 400 Digital, C-740 UltraZoom, C-750 UltraZoom

Details about the update
- Enables support of the PictBridge* function
- If your camera is already PictBridge-compatible, the following problematic condition will be removed by
the firmware update: an operation malfunction occurs when trying to imprint date on pictures
with the C-350ZOOM camera and a certain type of printer connected with bundled USB cable.

*What is PictBridge
PictBridge is a standard used to connect a digital camera directly to a PictBridge compatible printer. This enables direct printing without the use of a computer. Prints can be made easily using the camera controls, regardless of the device manufacturers.

Notes for Operation
- In some models, updating the firmware may change the availability of language menu.
- You cannot return to the previous version of firmware after the update.
- The digital camera may be damaged if the update is unsuccessful. Please read the
instructions on this page as well as the instructions and notes in the manual carefully.
If you would like to contact us with questions about the firmware updates, please click on the link
below.
- The models C-740 UltraZoom, C-750 UltraZoom will lose the capability to be controlled by PC
(SDK-support).
http://www3.olympus-europa.com/consumer/208_1636.htm

Preparation
You will need:
- The digital camera
- USB cable (Included in the digital camera original package)
- New battery (fully charged), or an AC adapter
- PC with the minimum specifications listed below
- Operating systems: Pre-installed Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows
2000 Professional, Windows Me, or Windows XP
- Built-in USB port.

Note:
Use of a USB hub during the update is not supported and may result in damage
to the camera and the camera's firmware.

If you do not have a PC that meets the above requirements, please refer to the link below.

http://www3.olympus-europa.com/consumer/208_1636.htm

I have a C-750, and I'm a little concerned about something in the above quote. I don't want my camera to lose the ability to be controlled by a PC. I wonder if this means your camera would no longer be recognized by Windows as a removable hard drive when you plug it in. That would be a problem for me, since that's how I download my images (I don't have an xD card slot on my computer tower). As far as I can tell, I don't need the PictBridge feature, since I would never print a picture directly from my camera without cleaning it up a bit in Photoshop first. Thus, I'm very leery about making this upgrade to my camera. Thanks for posting this, OrangeBloke. Otherwise, I might have made the upgrade before realizing its potential consequences.

Now if they'd only do something to fix the damn shutter lag. THAT would be an upgrade worth having...

The ability for a computer to control a camera has nothing to do with the ability of the camera to mount as a removeable drive when connected to a computer.

Computer control of a camera is usually done in studio situations where you can use the computer to control shutter speeds, shutter release, f stops, tele or zoom amongst other features. Most people will never utilize this ability.

Also, the statement pertains to cameras which have been customized using an SDK. If you don't know if this pertains to you or not, then it doesn't.

-John

Back
Top Bottom