Upgraded to RX100iii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1nfinite

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, have upgraded from a go pro to a rx100iii & nauticam housing.

Just wanted to show off my kit, already had the Archon LED which is pretty bright but quite heavy.
Only ever done video on my trips before, so guess will start taking photos.

Any tips, do's donts?

The only let down on the Sony seems the 70mm zoom, wondering if this is going to cause me issues?

Cheers.

Image3.jpg

Hi Steve, thanks for the link.

Nice setup! I just upgraded to an RX100V from a GoPro. Currently laid up following surgery, but I can't wait to get that thing in the water. Strobes coming Friday so I'll post a pic when I get everything assembled! Here's an article with tips I found somewhat helpful.

Underwater Settings for the Sony RX 100

Hope you get well soon!

Please let us know your thoughts Gopro vs RX100 !

I'm thinking about upgrading from a GoPro 3 - i'm more of a video person - but have had some pretty average attempts at taking photos with the thing.

What excites me about a rx100/similar is 4k video - and RAW photos.

I have a Canon 70D (that i use for work) - but the housings are crazy $$$$ and big.

I take the Canon with me when I travel for above sea level photos, and if a rx100 is decent underwater, I may even leave the SLR at home when on a trip!

Hope you get well soon!

Please let us know your thoughts Gopro vs RX100 !

I'm thinking about upgrading from a GoPro 3 - i'm more of a video person - but have had some pretty average attempts at taking photos with the thing.

What excites me about a rx100/similar is 4k video - and RAW photos.

I have a Canon 70D (that i use for work) - but the housings are crazy $$$$ and big.

I take the Canon with me when I travel for above sea level photos, and if a rx100 is decent underwater, I may even leave the SLR at home when on a trip!
Thanks! I was in the same boat. I have a Nikon D810 that I use for work and a A7ii that serves as my personal SLR, but the housing for either camera was more than I spent on housing, strobes, arms and camera for my RX setup. Maybe one day I'll upgrade, but I also really like the idea of not having to deal with multiple ports, lenses, etc, especially when traveling.

I've been really impressed with the RX performance on land too. It won't replace either of my SLR cameras, but on longer trips I will definitely be less inclined to bring along one of the larger cameras now. Especially with airlines increasingly cracking down on weight/baggage.

Oh, and if you're just starting out, check out The Underwater Photographer by Martin Edge. It's considered by some to be THE book on underwater photography and so far I'd have to agree. I've been finding it to be a really good read.

Be sure to share some videos/photos when you get them! Have fun.

I'm also going to a RX100 (IV) for underwater. Planning a wide angle wet lens, strobes, housing, tray purchase soon.

It's actually an amazing camera above water as well. My only complaint is the limitation of the lens (zoom) but it's fast and compact; incredible for what it is!

If you want to start taking photos you may want to look at strobes. :)

Back
Top Bottom