US Divers Calypso ID and repair information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwelburn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I came across this regulator recently and am looking for information that any of you might have about it (year, model, where I can get parts to service it, etc.) The first stage has a single low pressure port, and what I am assuming is a HP port angled off to the side which is currently capped (threads match 3/8 lp though). The first stage is pushing a perfectly stable 150psi, and the second stage performs very well, but has a small free flow that is caused only by the lever height being slightly too high. I am looking at all this for a friend and want to do the research to see if it is feasible to do an overhaul and get it in tip top shape. The only issue it really seems to have is a rubber exhaust tee that is a little bent out of shape. My thought on that would be to remove it, let it soak in some hot water, form it right again, then get it to cool in the right shape. I would love to get this into diving shape. Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_20130923_192720.jpgIMG_20130923_192743.jpgIMG_20130923_192750.jpgIMG_20130923_192808.jpg

Here are the tanks the reg came with.

IMG_20130923_183951.jpgIMG_20130923_184032.jpg

This is the second generation Calypso, with a second generation first stage (accepts a modern LP hose). Probably all you need to do is take it apart, clean up the metal, use some silicone grease on the rubber, and replace the exhaust mushroom (if necessary). The exhaust tee should simply be held in by screws. But it is rubber, and so hot water will only wash it, not restore it. Use silicone grease on it too so as to prevent further deterioration, and reverse some of the deterioration. You'll probably also want to flip the rubber seat on the second stage, or replace it (there should be replacements available, but try flipping it first). This regulator is a very good performing regulator, and well worth the efforts to clean up and get it in the water. It comes from the late 1960s to early 1970s. I may be able to pin it down further later this weekend.

The tanks are a nice set of twin steel 71.2 cubic foot cylinders. Take the boots off and see whether there is corrosion under the boots (be careful to not damage the coating--it seems in great condition). If you are lucky, there is no break in the plastic coating and the steel is good underneath. However, U.S. Divers Company did not zinc coat some of these cylinders, and so there is a good possibility that there is corrosion under the coating if it has been compromised. So look it over closely, and make a determination as to whether the tanks are still good before sending them in for hydro.

The bands are the standard twin military-style harness, and are very good in the old sense.

SeaRat

The first stage is a first generation introduced in 61, the second stage is a second gen introduced in 65. The reg is in the 68 catalog but not in the 70. I do not have a 69 so the sales ended in 68 or 69.
Parts are pretty much non-existant for the first stage other than the filter and main diaphragm. The HP seat was unique to that reg are and NOS ones are hard to find. My advise is to leave it alone if it is working properly...although you might want to reduce the IP a little- the hex screw at the end is the adjuster. I have 2 different manuals on it, one specifies 110psi and a later one 120 with a hand writen note of 135. If it were mine, I would set it to 135 just so it matches all my other regs.

The "plug" in the HP port is actually a small pin gauge. There is a small pin in it that moves out with tank preassure.

The second stage is somewhat of a different matter. The body parts are not available (plenty of regs on ebay to scavange parts off of if needs be) but the internal parts like the LP seat, diaphragm and exhaust valve are common replacements.

You can find a service manual on the "Catalog and Manuals" page of Vintage Double Hose.com Replacement parts for the second stage are there as well.

Back
Top Bottom