US Divers Metal second stages, Why not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:) Gosh. From the beginning of my scuba diving I have used USD/AL1085 second stages of all manner. The brass and chrome 1085 is a fine second stage and exceedingly durable. It has a strong and well designed Venturi and a simple, easily serviced design. And the huge exhaust valve and manifold are hardly exceeded by anything even now for low exhaust effort. The 1085 is one of the all time greats. Yes, it will become quite ugly as the chrome peels and green verdigris patina replaces and the dents and scratches add undeniable character but yet the old 1085 soldiers on.

The plastic USD/AL second stages were bad about cracking and just never were interesting to me. The Scubapro G250 and similar including the current G260 are 20% fiber reinforced polymer and are as strong or stronger than the old 1085 and can take equally serious abuse and are not prone to cracking. In the Red Sea trip a tank fell hard on one of my G250 second stages and popped the cover off. Thinking it surely was damaged I was delighted to find not even a scratch, screwed the cover back on and now some near 100 dives later it is going strong. Had it been a 1085 it would have taken the hit and shook it off with a couple of new character dents o_O.

BTW, I have a NIB Conshelf XIV Supreme first and second stage (with box) and a very nice second 1085 possibly for sale, thinking on it. It is my last, maybe. All others are gone replaced by, yes, the vaunted G250 :poke:.

And, just to add, I am referring to the large manifold and exhaust valve 1085 seconds with the slip on tee. The two screw early versions of the 1085, are in my opinion, not acceptable for scuba diving and should be retired. The restrictive exhaust can cause CO2 retention and exhaustion, been there and done that.
Good to know on the old style 1085, I appreciate the input from a (recovering) conshelf connoisseur. I might try to retro fit a slip on Tee adapter to save these old regs with a 3d printer or a CNC mill. If it works out I'll update here.

What spares

321 004a.jpg

If you grab enough you'll have enough

I have 2 ammunition boxes full of parts for Connie's, enough to last 2 or more lifetimes. The G250 G260 bug bit me also and the rest is history. The Connie's sit in a box, good memories though :bored:

PUH-LEEEZE, keep me away from those classic SP regs! 🙏 I’ve finally gotten my accumulation of Conshelf regs where I like them… as an old retiree on fixed income, I can’t afford to start collecting SPs too… I’ll never be able to afford another dive trip!!! 🤔🫤😜
Froggie 🐸

PUH-LEEEZE, keep me away from those classic SP regs! 🙏 I’ve finally gotten my accumulation of Conshelf regs where I like them… as an old retiree on fixed income, I can’t afford to start collecting SPs too… I’ll never be able to afford another dive trip!!! 🤔🫤😜
Froggie 🐸
So true...so true. Of my +/- 50 regulators, only about 8 or 9 are SP. The addiction knows no limits.

Sorry, but once you go Scubapro G250 you cannot go back. I have ditched my 1085s, even forsaken trying to suck a drop of air from double hose of all manner and gone off into the deep end of the Scubapro Clan.

I will trade the aforementioned NIB 1085 and XIV Supreme plus additional 1085 for a minty later G250, maybe, :eyebrow:.

A friend seeing my wife on my favorite G250s and new Mark 2 Evo first said I needed to get her a performance upgrade. I asked my wife in front of him, what is the best regulator you have ever used and her answer was the G250 with Mark 2 Evo. Smooth and just gives me the air I need when I need it. I am still scratching my head as to what performance upgrade I would get her. I am so enthusiastic over it that I can say, it is also the best regulator I have ever used or owned.

This is not about collecting, collectors stay away from the junky, ugly, plastic G250 please!!!!!! This is about diving and diving with the best of all time, the G250.

... I am still scratching my head as to what performance upgrade I would get her. ...
SP D400. For me, there is no contest: My D400 (purchased new ca. 1994) performs much better than my G250 (purchased new ca. 1988; metal-barrel model).

However, if I could keep only one, I would choose the G250--because I service it myself (and servicing it is as easy and straightforward as servicing my SP BA/156's).

BTW, for my LP single-cylinder, Y-valve rig, my preferred rig for diving solo to moderate depths in temperate water, I use my D400 as my primary 2nd stage and my G250 as my back-up 2nd stage (both run off of SP Mk 10's)--the best of both worlds! When, during a dive, I switch back and forth between the two 2nd stages, the better performance of the D400 is immediately obvious.

ETA: I should add: The D400 can be a bit "twitchy." Luckily, I know a guy (my LDS) who is a "D400 Whisperer"!

rx7diver

Part of "performance" for me is serviceability, reliability, lack of twitchiness, parts availability and of course in water transparency to my demand. I have now a couple of Posiden regulators. I could say their breathing performance exceeds that of the G250 but they are not transparent to my demand cycle. They lag (hesitate) initially and then lead (overshoot) and then follow. And they are complicated and hard to find parts for. And I find the D400 not transparent either. They are twitchy and tuning them is only a temporary thing before they become twitchy again. I guess I am a hubcap guy and not a scrotum in my face guy. The G250/1085 being a hubcap design and the D400 being a scrotum design, picture that :rofl3:.

The 1085 needs to make a comeback, in water adjustable model. Maybe with a composite or titanium shell. Keep the hard purge button, large diaphragm and no soft covers! Not necessarily a balanced but an adjustable. And please, an adjustable orifice. And integrate the exhaust manifold and tee into the body somewhat similar to the G250. But AL will never do that and especially now that they (and Apeks) are owned by a holding conglomerate.

The 1085 needs to make a comeback, in water adjustable model. Maybe with a composite or titanium shell. Keep the hard purge button, large diaphragm and no soft covers! Not necessarily a balanced but an adjustable. And please, an adjustable orifice. And integrate the exhaust manifold and tee into the body somewhat similar to the G250. But AL will never do that and especially now that they (and Apeks) are owned by a holding conglomerate.

This reminds me on another one of my favorite metal second stages, the Voit MR12-II [Bullseye purge button]. One of the most beautiful second stages ever made, and with that Venturi tube a great performer. Mares continued the line for years, eventually morphing into the Abyss, all fine and well. However recently, probably because of SP, Mares started to add features that were not really necessary. By this I mean the adjustable breathing knob, which I will call an unnecessary complication to a near perfect design. IDK, just my opinion on the demise of one of my favorite second stage designs.

This reminds me on another one of my favorite metal second stages, the Voit MR12-II [Bullseye purge button]. One of the most beautiful second stages ever made, and with that Venturi tube a great performer. Mares continued the line for years, eventually morphing into the Abyss, all fine and well. However recently, probably because of SP, Mares started to add features that were not really necessary. By this I mean the adjustable breathing knob, which I will call an unnecessary complication to a near perfect design. IDK, just my opinion on the demise of one of my favorite second stage designs.
Mares still makes the Abyss. IMO, the best looking version is the one they do for their XR line which they call the DR. It's especially fetching with the green nitrox purge button.

Screenshot_20240522-150329.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom