US Navy Decompression Table

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I want to carry a decompression table while I dive. I heard that the best one is the US Navy Decompression Table. Where can I find one?

Thanks.

Thanks. You carry one when you dive? Which table you use? I am a recreational diver and I will not be exceeding no deco limits. I also will be carrying a computer. I just want to carry this table in case the computer leaves me alone for some reason like dead batteries. So would the US Navy table do the job?

No, it won't. If your computer dies during a dive, you end the dive right then.

You can make subsequent using tables, but you will have to recalculate RNTs based on any earlier dives that day from the tables first (assuming you have written down all max depths and dive times for all dives in the previous 24 hours).

It's useless to carry then as some sort of "backup" during a dive.

Thanks. You carry one when you dive? Which table you use? I am a recreational diver and I will not be exceeding no deco limits. I also will be carrying a computer. I just want to carry this table in case the computer leaves me alone for some reason like dead batteries. So would the US Navy table do the job?

I keep a set of Navy tables in my wetnotes in drysuit pocket. They are backup to backups though.

It's useless to carry then as some sort of "backup" during a dive.

I guess that depends on what type of dive you're doing.

I am no deco recreational diver. I am on a budget so I can only buy a single computer. I really fear from something would go wrong under water and I pass the no deco limits. Because I can only buy a single computer the Navy tables will be my primary backup. So shoud I carry around written down all max depths and dive times for all dives in the previous 24 hours. Why is that? I will be diving max 40 meters. What should I do? How can I use this tables as primary back up? It's really important for me.

The tables can backup your computer BUT The computer is very reliable and there is very small chance the it will fail. I agree with fire diver that if the computer fails then end the dive and them figure out your group and new NDLs on the surface.
I believe that the chances of misreading tables on a dive in more dangerous than the convenienceof extending a dive. The way I "backup" my computer is to have the tables in my dive log and log the dives as I do then. If my computer fails then I end the dive and figure group change tanks and put and my timer.(depth gauge is on the console all the time.)

I am no deco recreational diver. I am on a budget so I can only buy a single computer. I really fear from something would go wrong under water and I pass the no deco limits. Because I can only buy a single computer the Navy tables will be my primary backup. So shoud I carry around written down all max depths and dive times for all dives in the previous 24 hours. Why is that? I will be diving max 40 meters. What should I do? How can I use this tables as primary back up? It's really important for me.

The point he was making is that if you're doing recreational dives within the NDL, that you always have the option of making a direct ascent to the surface. If you have a computer failure, the dive is over, and you ascend.

If you're keeping a log book, you'll have all the info to plan the next dive using tables. You can't just pick up another computer to use, because it wont have any of your previous tissue loading information in it.

I keep a log book. So the tables will still be important for my next dive if the computer dies on the first dive. I see the point now.

But I am still not sure about no deco limits. Something might go wrong and I would need to do deco stops. I think I must get trained for this, a table will not be enough to decide when to stop, yes?

I have a copy of PADI recreational dive table. For example it is written, the NDL limit for 30 meters is 20 minutes. What I wonder is what if I stay 25 minutes at 30 meters? Will I need to do a deco stop? Could you interpret the table attached (considering this is my first dive ) ? I do not understand at which depths I should stop for how long?

Attachments

• Deco.jpg
    Deco.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 159
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom