Used Aqua Lung Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ice Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im looking at picking up a couple older AL80 Aqua Lung tanks but dont have much info from the seller. He's not sure the manufacture date but insists theyre around 20-25 years old, says they are in good condition and passed hydro in '06. Should these tanks have the manufacture date stamped on them? Did aqua lung make good tanks back then and how old would the tank have to be for you to not even condsider buying them? Thanks

Aqua-Lung was a trade name of U.S. Divers (Cousteau) who didn't manufacture SCUBA Cylinders (the first "Aqua-Lung" was a product that was manufactured by Liquid Air or I should say Air Liquide France). They did affix the Aqua-Lung logo to cylinders they sold. U.S. Divers eventually became Aqualung, a division of Aqua Lung/Spirotechnique; which is in turn a division of the French company Air Liquide.

The aluminum 80 cu.ft. is rated at 3000 psi and is a usable cylinder today. Some cylinders however have been recalled, so you best check who the manufacturer was (possibly Luxfer at that time). The hydrostatic test is good for 5 years, so you will need another one (and a visual inspection) before it can be filled. If you take it to a Dive Shop they can look after it for you.

To add to DCBC's remarks, talk to your LDS and find out what their limits on age are to fill AL tanks, regardless of whether or not the tank is OK makes no difference if the LDS won't fill it. There are special procedures to inspect 6351 tanks but it costs more and you still may not get fills regardless.

Here are a couple of links you may want to use while looking for used tanks. Relying on what the seller thinks he knows could cost you some time and money.

List of Scuba Tanks Made From 6351-T6 Alloy

Scuba tank markings

When I look at tanks I take a homemade inspection light, full tank and transfer whip so I can look inside and pressurize the tank afterword. If they don't allow a look I pass.

Bob
---------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

Even if the tanks are not made from the older alloy, you'll probably have some trouble getting 25 year old AL tank filled. There's no real reason for that except many dive shops simply won't do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom