Used Dive Rite Transplate with Rec Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geardunkin

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at a used DR Transplate with the Rec Wing. Seller says it is about 10 years old with only about a dozen dives on it. My big concern is the wing. I'm assuming that even sitting around properly stored for that long there would be some degradation. Should I run for the hills or is this worth a closer look? What's the best way to check for leaks? Any red flags that I should be looking for? Thanks a bunch!

Are you using it with a single tank? It has 45lb's of lift which is way to much for a single tank. It is also quite a wide wing, so it will "taco" around your tank. I had one that I used for diving double HP 100's. It was/is marketed as both a single tank and doubles wing but doesn't do either very well.
You should be looking for a 26 or 30 lb wing designed for specifically for single tanks.

Is it the old horseshoe Rec wing or the newer donut wing?

I have the newer donut style Rec wing and found it worked nicely for warm-water Al80 doubles. I would not consider using it for cold water steels.

Yeah, it's not looking like this is optimal for single tank diving. It's the older style Rec wing, which I didn't realize is optimized for doubles.. Plus for the price he wants, I can basically get a brand new DGX setup.

Back
Top Bottom