Used HP100's going rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradpait

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of HP100's that are about 4 years old, with very few dives on them. I was just curious as to what everyone thinks these things may be worth before I commit to buying them.

A couple years ago, I picked up 2 PST HP 100 (3442) that were 4 years old for $225 each. I figured it was a reasonable deal, but not great.

what brand/model? what type of valve?

are the o2 clean and filled with anything?

in visual?

they'll need a hydro next year

A new Worthington HP-100 goes for $325-$345. A new Faber (Blue Steel) FX-100 goes for $250 sale price to about $349.

I've seen HP-100's sell used for typically $150 to $250 depending on manufacturer, age, condition, valves, etc...

I think some of the PST's had an exemption that expired sometime.... something that you'd want to check on.

someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I think some of the PST's had an exemption that expired sometime.... something that you'd want to check on.

someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The exemption issue is hanging out there. I think it has been established (dig for old threads) that anyone of a number of parties can apply for the renewal and then all is well with the world unless evidence has emerged to suggest an unexpected design flaw that would overturn the prior engineering. I have 6 PST HP cylinders and I'm sleeping nights. All things being equal a Worthington gets you away form the slight risk but there are not that many used Worthington's out there yet.

As for the used HP 100 value starting with the new cost is always sobering.The 100's are hanging right where they have been for the last 5 years in the $340 - $350 range.

Taking the almost 4 years at face value hydro is essentially due and we'll assume there's not much mileage left on the VIP. Figure you will have an pout of pocket of $35 - $55 to get that work done to get on par with a new cylinder.

Now buying used there is the chance that they fail when tested so you need to have an incentive to take a risk. IMO that means no less than $100 per cylinder. You could also find yourself needing a valve rebuild though that's not likely yet with typical use.

Deduct those 2 from the going rate for a new cylinder and you are on the shy side of $200. to consider buying. If you get even lower it begins to become a real good deal.

If you get the buyer to have a fresh hydro and VIP that become part of the selling price going a little higher with less risk might be worthwhile.

Be sure that they are going to work for you. There are 2 flavors out there. The older 3500 PSI HP cylinders are DIN only. the E-Series pseudo HP 3442 PSI cylinders will work with DIN & Yoke with the typical Thermo Pro valve.

Pete

I've bought 3 of the Faber HP 100s (the heavy ones, not the others) in the last year. From what I can tell in California, $200 is a good price for one that's nearing hydro due date, but in excellent condition, with the 3/4" valve (not the DIN only tanks). I haven't seen them offered for less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom