Used Sherwood Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Just picked up a Sherwood Maximus 5600 1st & 2nd stage and am looking for any advice on how to service them. I have the manuals so what I need is ways to work around the special tools along with any general advice. Also have a Sherwood Minimus SR3108 that I could use the same information on. Last I have a Sherwood 2nd that I do not know the model name of and do not have a manual for. The last item is pictured below. Thanks

IMG_2155.jpgIMG_2154.jpg

Not sure what model that is, but the orange plastic was an attempt to fix a problem with there standard yellow octos which I belive where recalled for an issue with cracking at the low pressure hose connection. so I'm guessing this would date after the recall.

Rich have you found anything out yet? I have an older Maximus from a bad Ebay deal I want to rebuild.

The Sherwood manuals are here. http://www.frogkick.dk/manuals/sherwood/ There are several Maximus regs. Match yours up to the pictures to ID the model numbers.

That orange octo is, I'm pretty sure, paired with the SRB3100 / SRB3105 (mid 1980s or so). I am not aware of any Sherwood recalls regarding their octos. They did have a Maximus recall Maximus Regulators Recalled by Sherwood SCUBA. So check yours out and see if it is subject to the recall.

No special tools really needed. I have 3 Sherwood reg sets (all older than yours) and the only thing I bought was the O Ring bullet tools from Scubatools, which I don't really need, but are nice to have.

Don't have short list:

regulator support handle / use electrical tape to protect plating and cardboard on vise
lever demand adj tool / make your own out of 1/8" al/steel plate (cut slot) Frogkick site has Sherwood tool manual with pics
orifice tool / use eraser end of pencil

I glanced over the manual for yours, and it seems as straight forward as my units with the exception of a mention of an inlet adj tool for your octo, not sure what that is, but get in touch with your cave man side and you'll figure it out.

IMHO older Sherwoods are the AK47 of SCUBA regs

Good luck

......more like Brown Bess.

Rich have you found anything out yet? I have an older Maximus from a bad Ebay deal I want to rebuild.

I ended up selling the Maximus before I could rebuilding it but I did get a manual in the interim. I can not seem to attach it to this post so I will try to email it to you.

I've exact same Sherwood orange octo but with LH hose connection in lieu of RH as yours, not too sure what it's exact model designation is? but it's exactly same in appearance as mid 1980's Magnum primary Lexan 2nd demand stage model # SR3002P which came with the SRB 3205 1st stage (with complete assy designated Magnum SRB 3300).

Only difference internally to SR3002P I know of is that octo does not have a 'roller' installed within demand lever i.e Octo's is a flat/plain looking lever. Octo can be serviced using kit # 4000-9, and defunct assembly and maintenance guide 3200-3300 regulators. Hope this assists

---------- Post Merged at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:38 AM ----------

You may encounter difficulty unscrewing its's front cover?, look for a small locking part that acts as a anti rotation key. There's only 4-off parts required for its servicing: 2-off O Rings, Poppet Seat and Mouthpiece Cable Tie. O Rings are both static and Poppet Seat can be turned over at a pinch, my mid 1980's Magnum SRB3300 reg set is still performing strong, just appears outdated to the newer one's.

In my opinion Sherwood's reg's are the best you can own as truly balanced and enviromentally sealed, there not that popular here in the UK as not had good advertising/marketing. Likes of Apex and Scubapro are the most popular.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom