user experiences with S&S YSD1 and Inon D2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cageybob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at either of these strobes (or ys01, depending on wallet tolerance). Have been concerned with numerous posts about YSD1 quality and various issues. Price points being about equal, I prefer the YSD1, but am worried about its durability and potential for problems. Otoh, the D2000 looks more complicated to operate.

For existing owners of either, please let us know your experiences, both pro and con.

I haven't had any problems with my YSD-1. I got the recall notice, but haven't returned it yet for updating because we dive every week and it's working fine. I had a D2000 briefly several years ago and couldn't figure out the magnet in, magnet out stuff. I couldn't get it to sync with my camera and other strobe, but I bought it and used it on one trip and hadn't really had time to figure it out. It didn't help that all the instructions were in Japanese and what English translations there were I found to be completely obtuse. Hopefully Inon has improved that. Having a wealth of sources here on the Scuba board doesn't hurt. Both are nice strobes, the YSD-1 is much stronger and more comparable to the Z-240.

I have not used a YSD1 so I can't comment on it. I do use D2000's and they work well with my Olympus E-PL1. Your experience may be different depending on what camera you use with it.

I think I would go with the D1 at this stage or if I were to go to Inon I would go Z240. The D2000 is a nice strobe (and not that complicated) but the D1 is more modern. I think S&S have gotten their act together with the D1; as for long term reliability no one will know for a few years yet.
Bill

Besides the recall on earlier YSD1's, I have read reports of YSD1 floods (here and other forums). Seems too new of a strobe to be having flooding issues. I really want the YSD1 (and may settle for the YS01 as I don't see as many issues), but worried that the quality isn't there.

I have two post-recall YS-D1s on an OM-D using fiber optic sync and TTL. They are outstanding as far as I am concerned. It is very easy to adjust lightng ratios even in TTL mode, they are very powerful, and come with all the mounts and diffusers you need standard. I have a couple thousand shots and about 20 dives with them, as deep as 120fsw, and so far they have worked perfectly.

So, the initial problems seem to be resolved. As others have said, long-term reliability is still unknown until several years pass. The Inon Z240 is well regarded as the champion of long-term reliability so far. I took the chance on the YS-D1s because S&S stands behind them, and I saved almost $450 over the Z-240s.

I don't know about floods. They use the same time-tested battery compartment door as on the YS models for many years, so I would not expect flooding issues there. However, you might search for threads on that.

So, for the time I have had them, a very high recommendation. As for capability, they are head and shoulders above the S2000 in terms of power and exposure flexibility. The S2000 is for a different market, very compact, simple strobes for ultralight travel. The YS-D1 is more of a fully professional strobe like the Z440.

Our household has about three or four years of experience with D2000s and we have had no trouble with them at all. And they can't be that complicated to use, because I manage it . . .

I recently purchased a second YSD1, as I was pleased with the performance of the first one, despite the recall issue that I went through, Two dives and after approx 70 flashes , I'm getting the low battery signal (red/green light). Batteries are full charged and I've switched them between the two units. No problem with older unit. The serial number is past the range of those that were in the recall, but this problem seems similar to the issue. Sigh.

Back
Top Bottom