Using ChatGPT to write comments/posts about dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I had to give this a try. Given how news about ChatGPT and other generative AI systems has been sweeping the web, I used two of them to write something that could be posted online. I started with a fairly topical issue. This was the prompt I entered into both Google's "Bard" and Microsoft's "Bing Chat." I provided no other information – just my prompt:

"Outline my blog post about the Apple Watch Ultra as a dive computer, compared to dedicated dive computers."

Google Bard:​

Introduction

The Apple Watch Ultra is a smartwatch that can be used as a dive computer. It has a number of features that make it a good option for divers, including its water resistance, GPS tracking, and onboard sensors. However, it is not a dedicated dive computer and does not have all the features that a dedicated dive computer does.

Comparison to dedicated dive computers
Dedicated dive computers are designed specifically for diving and have a number of features that the Apple Watch Ultra does not. These features include:

• More accurate depth and pressure readings
  • Air integration (which allows the dive computer to automatically calculate decompression)
  • More advanced safety features
  • Longer battery life
Conclusion
The Apple Watch Ultra is a good option for divers who are looking for a smartwatch that can also be used as a dive computer. However, it is not a dedicated dive computer and does not have all the features that a dedicated dive computer does. If you are looking for a dive computer with all the bells and whistles, you will need to get a dedicated dive computer.

Possible topics for further discussion

• How to use the Apple Watch Ultra as a dive computer
  • The pros and cons of using the Apple Watch Ultra as a dive computer
  • The different types of dive computers available
  • The features to look for when choosing a dive computer
  • How to maintain a dive computer

Bing Chat:​

According to a review, the Apple Watch Ultra dive computer reacted to conditions in the same way as many of the best and established and trusted dive computers. Decompression limits and safety stops, as well as warnings about rapid ascents flash and produce haptic notifications in a way more clearly seen than any other computer on the market⁴. Another review states that compared to many of the best and established and trusted dive computers, the Apple Ultra dive computer reacted to conditions in the same way. Decompression limits and safety stops, as well as warnings about rapid ascents flash and produce haptic notifications in a way more clearly seen than any other computer on the market¹.

However, another review states that while the Apple Watch Ultra is able to double as a dive computer, it won't — and can't — replace dedicated dive computers just yet².

I hope this helps you with your blog post! Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.

< Next, Bing provided these web links/footnotes: >

Source: Conversation with Bing, 3/29/2023(1)
Review of Apple Watch Ultra Oceanic+ Dive Computer - 2023. Apple Watch Ultra Oceanic+ Dive Computer Accessed 3/29/2023.

(2) I Went Scuba Diving With the Apple Watch Ultra. Here's How It Works. The Apple Watch Ultra Can Now Scuba Dive Accessed 3/29/2023.

(3) Apple Watch Ultra is impressive, but can't replace my dive watch just .... Apple Watch Ultra is impressive, but can't replace my dive watch just yet | AppleInsider Accessed 3/29/2023.

(4) The Apple Watch Ultra just BROKE Dive Computers. The Apple Watch Ultra just BROKE Dive Computers | Reef Builders | The Reef and Saltwater Aquarium Blog Accessed 3/29/2023.

As you can see, they make some significant errors. Still- pretty impressive. The formatting you see in the Google answer matches its output. Note that the answers will be somewhat different every time.

The Bing response is written as if by a middle school child. It does provide links however, so more substantive.

The Bing response is written as if by a middle school child. It does provide links however, so more substantive.

Agreed, but to paraphrase Mark Twain - "If you don't like how the AI chatbots work, just wait a few days." Or, as Google Bard said just now:

It can be disappointing when AI chatbots don't live up to our expectations. We may have high hopes for them, thinking that they will be able to understand our requests and provide us with the information or assistance we need. However, sometimes chatbots can be frustrating, either because they don't understand what we're asking or because they give us inaccurate or unhelpful information.

There are a few reasons why AI chatbots might disappoint us. One reason is that they are still under development, and they are not always able to handle complex or nuanced requests. Another reason is that they are often trained on a limited dataset of information, and they may not be able to provide us with information that is not in their training data.

Even though AI chatbots can be disappointing at times, it is important to remember that they are still a valuable tool. They can help us to automate tasks, provide us with information, and even entertain us. With time and development, AI chatbots will become even more useful and capable.

Here are some tips for dealing with disappointing AI chatbots:

• Be patient. Chatbots are still under development, and they will make mistakes. Try to be patient with them and give them time to learn.

I probed a bit into to into emotions/psychology – asking why some CCR divers might look down on open circuit divers.

Google Bard:
There are a few reasons why divers who use closed circuit rebreathers might look down on open circuit scuba divers.

First, rebreathers are seen as being more advanced and sophisticated than open circuit scuba gear. They require more training and experience to use safely, and they allow divers to stay underwater for longer periods of time.

Second, rebreathers are often seen as being more environmentally friendly than open circuit scuba gear. They don't produce bubbles, which can damage coral reefs and other marine life.

Finally, some divers simply feel that rebreather diving is a more challenging and rewarding experience than open circuit scuba diving.

It's important to note that not all divers who use closed circuit rebreathers look down on open circuit scuba divers. There are many experienced and skilled open circuit scuba divers who enjoy the sport just as much as rebreather divers do. However, it's undeniable that there is a certain sense of elitism among some rebreather divers, and this can sometimes lead to tension between the two groups.

Ultimately, the best type of diving is the one that you enjoy the most. If you're interested in trying rebreather diving, there are many resources available to help you learn more about it. And if you're happy with open circuit scuba diving, there's no need to change. Just enjoy the underwater world!

Reactions: OTF
I got my Google Bard invite earlier today. Of course the first question I asked was "Who is [my real name]?"

My name is actually unique in the United States and a basic Google search will uncover a fair bit about me. Despite this, almost everything in the chatbot's response was wrong. Wrong college, wrong grad school, wrong profession. It even said I was the author of a book that I didn't write and that I'm a regular correspondent in the Wall Street Journal while in reality I was quoted there one time. The only thing it got correct was that I was involved with a website I co-founded. But even there it got the details wrong.

So naturally the next question I asked was "What are the best regulators for cold water diving?"

The answer wasn't much better. I could maybe see an argument for the Zeagle F8. But I'm pretty sure an Aqualung Calypso wouldn't be on most people's lists.

You have to keep in mind that there's no intelligence here. All they are is a set of rules for stringing one word after another based primarily on how often these words have appeared together in the training corpus.

It's aimed at doing school homework.

Life for a teacher must be really depressing.

No doubt there'll be new "AI" (oxymoron) applications such as feeding in a school essay to determine how good it is. At least the teachers will get their own back.

The average American reads at a 7th to 8th grade level. Writing in a clear, concise and logical manner is difficult. 40 years ago I worked in the broadcast TV industry, and among other things developed computer software tools to assist in the preparation of on-air scripts to be read by our news anchors. One feature was scoring the TV news scripts for their reading and comprehension level; the target for broadcast news was 6th grade. I doubt the target has changed much in the intervening years. I write most of our TekTips and target a high school reading level as much as possible. Given the subject matter that is not always possible but questions from our customers enable me to re-write content whenever I notice there is an opportunity for misunderstanding or a lack of clarity.

You have to keep in mind that there's no intelligence here. All they are is a set of rules for stringing one word after another based primarily on how often these words have appeared together in the training corpus.

Given the material on the internet that this system draws from, I'm surprised that it isn't a rageaholic freak by now.

Part of what this can do is write computer programs. But like its conversation, it's just cobbling together existing code. I wanted to test it so I did a video about ChatGPT writing code.

A few weeks later I did another video and got a different response.... I think humans maybe having an adverse effect on it.

Has anyone tried to get it to write a deco schedule yet?

Back
Top Bottom