Using strobe as main dive-light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taslehoff

New
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all!

I am new to this forum, and hope that some of you might be able to help me in my search for a UW-photo system.

Being a Norwegian, a significant number of my dives are night-dives, and quite a few are also conducted in rather murky waters with low visibility. Thus I am pretty much dependent on a decent dive-light, and was wondering which strobes could be used?

I have been looking at the Ikelite DS-125 and above, all of which are rather expensive in Norway. Are there any other manufacturers that provide good flashes which can double as dive-light?

Or how do those of you diving in dark conditions do things?

Regards,
Einar

I use the 125 model light as a light when night diving with a camera on Bonaire/islands..as a primary light in waters with less visibility-not good enough.I carry a 6 c cell light or a small led light as a backup clipped on the bcd.
Also the 125 no longer available.Now it is the 160..has a led model light in the middle of the flash tube

I have dual S&S YS-110 that have integrated LED focus lights...........

They work OK in clear Windex like water...........

I don't think that in low vis conditions they would be adaquate........

There are times when even my 10 watt HID is not enough......

Hope this helps........M

I have been doing some night dives with two DS125 modeling lights.
They do provide enough light to see both in clear tropical water and in green SoCal waters.

The problem is more the width/diffuseness of the beam than the quantity of light. They are pretty much useless as a communication device, and don't 'punch' through the water the way a canister beam or even a good backup light does. And a SLR rig makes a really heavy, slow and bulky light head.

One thing I've tried recently which seems to work is to clip a compact Intova backup to one of the arms. Those small lights don't have much power, but their beam is amazingly narrow, and does a pretty good job for both signalization and illuminating remote objects.

I still carry a can light for when I don't have the camera deployed, but SLR+goodman handle is annoying enough I usually stow it when I'm shooting.

I'm curious to hear what others are using.

I normally use the DS125s, but I'm considering using a focus light as well with the new Ikelite case modifications. I always have a backup, but thus far I have not needed to use it. I think if the vis was bad enough that a canister would be needed over the model lights, I would leave the camera topside. If i can't see more than a meter, I'm not going to be getting many good shots.

Thanks all so far!

I guess I might try to go the Ikelite-route, either with a used ds-125 or just go for the ds-160 right away if I rob a bank or something...

Any further advice would still be appreciated!

Einar

See the new Ikelite DS 161 Moviestrobe...i love it. It's a great little movie light and the strobe will work with lot's of Camera...

I just got the DS-161 for this exact reason. I am going to do a couple night dives in early March and will attempt to use the 161 at my sole light, but obviously will carry a real light just in case it doesn't work out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom