Using the boot for the Vytec and SK-7 Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm starting to think I'm too dumb to use these products. I don't think I meet the minimum smartness level required ):

I have the Vytec in the boot. After looking at it for a while - I thought, "well, that's a stupid design. I am going to have to take it out of the boot every time I want to hook up the USB cable to the computer." After some further contemplation, I realized that there IS a port for the USB cable - I just put the computer in the wrong way. So, I took it back out - scratching the plastic cover plate in the process, and put it back in the right way. USB port is now accessible without taking it out of the boot. Cool.

So, now I have the bungie cord in there. I have no idea how correct or incorrect it may be. But I'm lost on how to tie together the free ends in some reasonable way. Every way I try, it comes out looking like crap.Maybe someone could help me. Picture attached - yellow line shows routing of bungie cord.

Products should come with explicit instructions. Never underestimate the stupidity of customers like me. The compass boot came with some instructions, although, frankly, I had trouble following them. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with instructions like, "bungee can be joined with small zip ties and concealed in this recess". Joined how???

Lost and dumb as usual ):

Attachments

• boot.jpg
    boot.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 98
OK - well, I think I may have figured it out. Maybe. Instead of trying to do it with one continuous piece, I used two pieces. I also think I figured out what "bungee can be joined with small zip ties and concealed in this recess" means, although it doesn't seem to tuck in there very well. Probably just my lame self trying to do somthing goofy.

Can someone please look at the attached pictures and tell me if this looks like the intended bungie cord install?

If so....I hope I didn't make it too tight. Feels kinda tight. Will be tighter with a wetsuit and/or drysuit. Don't have much cord left to try again either ):

Thanks!
nd

Attachments

• ds_1.jpg
    ds_1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 97
  • ds_2.jpg
    ds_2.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 81
  • ds_3.jpg
    ds_3.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 90
Hi, You are not that dumb, it seems OK to me, maybe the zip ties could have been a bit smaller and a continius bungee would have been better to have just one side with plastic ties.
Some recommmend two separated bungees, so that if one break, the other keep the instrument attached to your arm.

I like the two separate bungees. When (not if) one fails, the other will prevent the gauge from being lost. I also prefer a simple knot to zip ties, but the zip ties will work OK. But the zip tie will fail sooner than the bungee so have some extras in you save-a-dive kit to make field repairs. With 2 independent straps and 2 zip ties on each, I doubt if failure will ever lead to loss. If you think the straps are too tight now, you can bet they will be too tight when you add protection under them. Bungee is cheap and always good to have some extra on hand.

You got the bungee installation right. I actually use a smaller diameter bungee rather than the most you can fit through the holes (1/8 inch vs. 3/16 inch) to make it easier to thread and also to make the bungee and zip ties easier to stuff into the recesses.

TL

Back
Top Bottom