Using The Raider One

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwilding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So, I was messing around with my new Raider I last night in the dark of night and found that while the light sock is a great way to hold and use the light, it seems to have one major issue. Turning the light on and off while it is in the sock is either VERY difficult or impossible. The sock is nice and snug - snug enough to make putting the light in require significant effort - but it is not tight enough to stop the light from spinning when you use your free hand to turn the light on and off.

Is there a trick to turning the light on and off while it is in the light sock?

Cannot help you with your problem but I want to bug you about your light.

Is it as awesome as it seems to be? Is the switch idiot proof?*

* by idiot proof I mean this: I intend on handing lights out to customers, and they like to unscrew the light until it floods, because that's what they do. If this light has a different kind of switch, they could turn it on and off without flooding the light.

Cannot help you with your problem but I want to bug you about your light.

Is it as awesome as it seems to be? Is the switch idiot proof?*

* by idiot proof I mean this: I intend on handing lights out to customers, and they like to unscrew the light until it floods, because that's what they do. If this light has a different kind of switch, they could turn it on and off without flooding the light.
Are you talking about the Oxycheq or the light I sold you? :confused:

The Princeton light has an actual switch. Center for off and left/right for on (IIRC). Perfect for divers who like to fiddle.

The Oxycheq is your standard twist on / twist off type of deal.. Enough twisting and it floods like all lights that twist on/off.

Now how do I turn it off and on in the light sock?

The light will tend to twist while in the sock. Taking the sock off your hand is your best bet if you want to turn it on or off mid dive. I normally just turn it on as I'm getting into the water and then off again when I get out of the water.

In terms of flooding the light by twisting you really have to overdo the twisting since you have to undo two o-rings before it floods the Raider I. Some of the older Pelican (2C) lights will flood quite easily if you undo them a little too far.

Mat.

Last edited:
I havent done this, since I too turn my light off and on when I enter and exit the water and tend not to fool with it mid dive.

I have heard though, that if you put a couple layers of snug innertube at the head of the light the friction from the rubber against the sock helps turn the light off while it's still in the sock.

Also, i've heard of folks who clip off the bolt snap that they tie off to the end of the light, to some other instrument on their wrist, like a NATO Zulu watch strap or a compass band. That way there is a fixed point to get the leverage needed to turn off the light.

Like I said...I havent tried it...but might be worth a shot. One thing, I wouldnt clip off the bolt snap to my computer strap in case I'm too strone and break off the strap!!

Are you talking about the Oxycheq or the light I sold you? :confused:

The Princeton light has an actual switch. Center for off and left/right for on (IIRC). Perfect for divers who like to fiddle.

(You sold me a reg not a light.)

Welp this is out as a rental light then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom