Using white balance reference cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried my new Mangrove CF-M67 red filter yesterday. It was a very shallow dive, less than 20ft so it wasn't exactly a good test. Being so shallow it gave a warm image while using auto WB. It was easily correctable in post but looked pretty good to start. I forgot my WB cards and didn't try any other form of WB. Next time. I used my macro lens most of the dive.
What I didn't like with my image while using the filter and the wetmate was slight vignetting on the lower right corner and sometimes I could notice some distortion or blurring along the right edge of the image. I'm not certain it was all due to the filter. It's strange that it was only on one side and the amount of vignetting would fluctuate. I'm wondering if I may have not inserted the camera properly flush into the housing. With a little zoom the vignetting would disappear but the distortion not so much. I can deal with a little vignetting, a quick application of a preset crop will fix it but the soft edges are not good. I'll have to do some further testing in the pool to see what's really up.

Here a sample of video from yesterday morning. It's unedited except for contrast.

[video=youtube_share;S4vjN9VNPkM]http://youtu.be/S4vjN9VNPkM[/video]

Last edited:
The vignetting on one side is typical if you use the stabiliser. The lens movement tends to stick on one side where you pan and accentuate the fact the lens and port are not 100% aligned. The fact you have a flat glass before the wetmate probably reduces the correction of the latter

Hmm, so I'll have to crop out the edges or disable stabilizer or zoom the lens in just a hair until I come up with a better solution if there is one. Why must everything be such a PITA.:shakehead: All I want is good color. Thx.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom