USS Belleau Wood LHA-3 Sank!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IwakuniDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This is bad that even though I served on her for over 2 1/2 years, continue to work for the DoD as a civilian, and try to keep in touch with former shipmates that I completely missed the SINKEX for my former duty station and home. I found out from an email my dad sent.

While I admit that I am deeply saddened by her fate since I have many fond memories serving onboard her in both peacetime and wartime (United Shield in Somalia '95), I am glad to see her on the bottom and not scrapped.

During her SINKEX she was hit by Harpoon Anti-Ship missles and shelled by the USS Mobile Bay for hours and refused to sink. In the end, it took Naval EOD to plant charges on her to send her to the bottom. Not much of a surprise to me really since she showed us on numerous occasions how durable and steadfast of a ship she was.

Just a shame she's too deep to dive so I'll never be able to say goodbye properly.

lha3sink6.jpg

lha3sink7.jpg

lha3sink8.jpg

Sorry to see a fine ship sunk as a target, but I agree it is better than the scrapyards. It seemed to me the Tarawa's had longer legs. I had expected her to be laid up in the reserves. I wouldn't have expected a single harpoon and some 5" shells to have much effect on a vessel emptied of aviation fuel and ordnance.

Actually I don't know how deep she is and I have so far been unable to track down the coordinates of her final resting place.

I do know that it was somewhere near Hawaii and that if it was far enough out to use live ordinance, she's GOT to be deep.

Well hopefully someone will sponsor a trip out to visit and document her gravesite and I can schmooze my way in. Anyone know the number to those folks at The Discovery Channel?

Scott
(former)
Aviation Boatswain's Mate Fuels 3rd Class
V-4 Division Flight Deck Leading Petty Officer
USS Belleau Wood LHA-3
1993-1995

They shot her up this summer, lies in DEEP water with MANY other ships at her side,
we were hoping for a new wreck to dive though, it would have been awesome.

Hello all!

First off, Let me state my appreciation to the US Navy for letting me participate in and observe the sinking of what was once my home for 8 years..The USS Belleau Wood LHA-3.

As a Veteran of V-1 division it saddened me deeply to see such a fantastic ship dissapear beneath the waves.

I realize that some of you are interested in knowing her exact location so here you go:

22:58.756N 160:46.63W

Although she is too deep to dive (What a thrill that would be) I am going to embark on the possibility of having a memorial service for the big girl at the site within the next 2 years.

Also, I have the complete sinking video (Not the short one as has been posted on the web) if anyone is interested.

All, I served on the Belly up, I mean Belleau Wood in the late 80's (86-88). Went to the decom ceremony in San Diego and would like to get a copy (the long version) of the sinking. Please advice. Thanks James "Colonel" Sanders, IC3 assigined to the Aft Boiler room.

Well then, the Bella Wood was the only navy ship I was ever on for 8 days, the squids er I mean fine Navy personnel were very hospitable to us poor grunts. Sorry to see her sunk to the bottom. another piece of my child hood gone forever.

Hello all!

First off, Let me state my appreciation to the US Navy for letting me participate in and observe the sinking of what was once my home for 8 years..The USS Belleau Wood LHA-3.

As a Veteran of V-1 division it saddened me deeply to see such a fantastic ship dissapear beneath the waves.

I realize that some of you are interested in knowing her exact location so here you go:

22:58.756N 160:46.63W

Although she is too deep to dive (What a thrill that would be) I am going to embark on the possibility of having a memorial service for the big girl at the site within the next 2 years.

Also, I have the complete sinking video (Not the short one as has been posted on the web) if anyone is interested.

Hi 1towman1,

I am a plank owner of the USS Belleau Wood and like many of us was unaware of the decomissioning and sinking of the ship.

I looked up your coordinates and am now curious as to how it was sunk at this location given the following:

1) All of the media information mentioned that the BW was being sunk to create an artificial reef.
2) If I charted your coordinates correctly, the location is in aproximately 2246 fathoms of water (aproximately 70 mi from Makaha Pt. Kuai). I'm not a marine biologist, but I don't think that that depth is conducive to any kind of productive reef.
3) There is a shallower area aproximately 16 NM southwest of this position with 34 fathoms.
4) Is it possible that the intention was to sink the BW in this area of 34 fathoms and that somehow it drifted too far away from the mark?

If you have any more information about this please let me know, if there is any chance that the coordinates are off and that the BW actually sank in 34 fathoms then there may be an opportunity to dive her some day.

Best Regards,

J Jaume, formerly SK2 (DV) S-1 Div.

Back
Top Bottom