USS Compton??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandFrog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I hope this is ok to post here.

I was doing a web search for the old destroyer that my dad served on, the USS Compton DD705, and stumbled upon this link:

U.S.S. Compton by J-mizzle - Google 3D Warehouse

It is for a Google Earth entry about a hulk in the San Francisco Bay area which is identified as the Compton, but according to the USS Compton Association the ship was broken up and scrapped in 1990. I thought that it would interesting to ask and see if anyone here on the board who lives in that area might know something about this wreckage and if it might be the remains of the Compton or if whoever put the link on Google Earth just didn't know what they were talking about.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Regards,
Brad

Thanks Chuck. We were pretty doubtful that it would be, but thought that it would be of interest to check.

Thanks again!

I took pics of the hulkfrom about 30ft away during the summer of 2012, off my 18ft Silverline towboat. if you are interested to hsve a copy of them sent to you, send a note to Wildecast@gmail.com. I'm including one as my avatar.

Back
Top Bottom