Uss Tarpon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wreck.reel

Reaction score
I've aways wanted to dive the Tarpon. I saw this video clip linked on the newengland section.
http://www.theaquaplanet.com/view_video.php?viewkey=c49e5a833517c45d3107

I was wondering if the water is allways that blue. The clip says it was taken in June.
The other thing i wanted to know are there normaly as many skark as seen in the clip
i linked. Id like to dive the tarpon this year,and id like to know what time of the year has the best conditions.

wreck.reel:
I've aways wanted to dive the Tarpon. I saw this video clip linked on the newengland section.

I was wondering if the water is allways that blue. The clip says it was taken in June.
The other thing i wanted to know are there normaly as many skark as seen in the clip
i linked. Id like to dive the tarpon this year,and id like to know what time of the year has the best conditions.

I haven't been there in years, but the Tarpon is on the edge of the Gulf Stream and probably the water was that blue most of the time.

As for the sand tigers, yes, they're usually there. On one dive, a woman coming up from her dive as two of us were descending, stopped at about 60 feet and watched us as a pair of sand tigers longer than we were tall shadowed us for at least several minutes - as long as she watched. Neither of us knew it until we finished decom and climbed aboard the dive boat.

donacheson:
I haven't been there in years, but the Tarpon is on the edge of the Gulf Stream and probably the water was that blue most of the time.

As for the sand tigers, yes, they're usually there. On one dive, a woman coming up from her dive as two of us were descending, stopped at about 60 feet and watched us as a pair of sand tigers longer than we were tall shadowed us for at least several minutes - as long as she watched. Neither of us knew it until we finished decom and climbed aboard the dive boat.

Most of my diving has been in Newengland (green water) I looking foward to diving the Tarpon this season.

You might have a tough time getting a ride out there on a commercial dive boat unless you're willing to charter the whole boat. The Tarpon is in a seldom visited area, and when the boats do go out there, they're usually headed to the Proteus or British Splendour.

Lookout.jpg

What about a trip in 2008? I'd go, but I don't have the experience level right now. But by the second half of next summer...with a nitrox course in the meantime...

I'm in.

Hey, if you can't dive the Tarpon, try Proteus. Outer Banks Diving out of Hatteras does it. My avatar is a shark from Proteus.

wreck.reel:

Hey thats my video. Yes that video was taken in June 2005. The Tarpon is one of my favorite wrecks. The sand tigers make it a very cool dive. Ive only dove it in June so i couldnt tell you when the conditions are best.

Actually the Tarpon gets visited regularly by the Hatteras boats. We go there many times throughout the season and it is usually blue, but not always. The water is usually at its best from mid June through end of October, but conditions can and do change daily. Tarpon sits within a mile of the Proteus and the conditions are usually identical on the two wreck sites as far as current and viz goes. Both wrecks have the sharks, but more have been present at the Proteus during the past year for some reason. I did one Tarpon dive last summer and didn't see a single shark, next time there were at least 100, so it changes but who knows why.

What is the Max depth on the Tarpon?

Back
Top Bottom