USVI vs BVI????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

full fin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, just booked a trip for late May. Will only have 3 days available for diving (and probably will only get to dive 2 b/c of non diving companions :depressed:

So as of now we have only booked the flight into St. Thomas and have a blank slate as to where to stay. I am trying to balance the best diving with some stuff to do top-side. It seems conventional wisdom is BVI is a little better diving, but I can't understand why. The islands are so close, would the ecosystem or topography really significantly differ? Thoughts?

So far, I am thinking Tortola is the best blend of diving with some things to do top-side. Does that sound right, or should I just be staying put on st. thomas?

Extra points for good shore diving, I have gathered that can only be found on st. thomas.

Thanks for any help!!!

p.s. for what it is worth I have dove bonaire and belize, so I may be a bit of an unfairly tuff critic. Just loved doing my own thing all day in bonaire and rolling out of hotel and falling into reef next to balcony.... :cool2:

Definitely no shore diving in the BVIs.

Which is better between the BVI and USVI really depends upon what you like. The USVI does have some nice wreck diving, but I find the reefs and marine life better in the BVI. Opinions no doubt vary.

I would have to say that the BVI is better, but then again I live and work here! The topography does change from Virgin Gorda down to the USVI. More boulders and sloping reefs on the east end and then into pointy rocks/pinnacles in the west. You really can't go wrong with any of it though.

Jeff

Well, let’s try to answer some of your questions.
Late may is a good time to drop down for a visit to either location. St Thomas has very similar diving as the BVI and you don't have the customs and immigration hassles. Most dives fall in the area of 40-60 and are lush coral reefs and plenty of marine life. Two very popular dives are Cow and Arches and tunnels as both provide swim thru and tons of fish. Different dive operators dive different sites relative to their location on the island. The only way to dive the US or British VI is with a dive operator as shore diving is very limited.
You might want to check Virgin Islands Travel Information for more Virgin Islands information and Red Hook Dive Center St. Thomas USVI - Scuba Diving Trips, PADI Classes, Rental Equipment, Repairs, Retail Sales

Thanks all for the input.

I did some more research and realized are choices are down to St. Thomas/John or Tortola because the ferry schedule won't cooperate with our 3:30 arrival time on Saturday and Wednesday return.

I know St. John has the best topside beauty, bow do Tortola and St. John to compare to eachother (I know both are more developed)?

This looks like a pretty sweet house to rent on St. John.
Sea Forever Photos

Thanks. I think we are taking the hardest look at tortola (and doing a day trip to VG for baths and what not).

Any suggestions as to where to stay in Tortola? The perfect place would be in a pretty area (i.e., on beach or good view above beach, etc -- just not in middle of city), but has places to eat that you can walk too. That pretty area + walkable eat/drink is a tuff combo probably.

We are 4 people trying to stay on the lower end of the budget, and don't want to be stuck at a resort restaurant for every meal. Condo rental would be fine if it had both qualities.

We stayed at Bolongo Bay a few years back. There is a dive op on site. I was only snorkeling that trip but saw a few guy shore diving. However even snorkeling the currents could get nasty in the bay. The hotel was ok. The beach bar restaurant seem reasonable but the restaurant by the pool was very expensive. Your would be a ways out of town so cab rides to Charlotte Amalie or Red Hook. I think its was about $12 each way to Red Hook.

The dive op looked fine but I did not use them.

Thanks. I think we are taking the hardest look at tortola (and doing a day trip to VG for baths and what not).

Any suggestions as to where to stay in Tortola? The perfect place would be in a pretty area (i.e., on beach or good view above beach, etc -- just not in middle of city), but has places to eat that you can walk too. That pretty area + walkable eat/drink is a tuff combo probably.

We are 4 people trying to stay on the lower end of the budget, and don't want to be stuck at a resort restaurant for every meal. Condo rental would be fine if it had both qualities.

Sounds like you probably want to aim for Cane Garden Bay. Lots of condos/holiday homes there, but equally quite a few restaurants and bars etc. along the beach. More like a quiet village than a full town though. Prices are pretty dirt cheap (relatively speaking - not like Haiti or anything) given the recession.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom