UTD Ratio deco discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

till chooses not to profess an authoritative "recommendation"; only an informed "personal preference" on how to de-emphasize deepstops
I never said he made an authoritative recommendation. You will not see those words anywhere in my comment. I clearly referred to the fact that it is what he has chosen to do in his own personal diving.

he recommends the gradients factors of 50/80 these are his "non-scientific recommendations totally unsupported by science"

Dr. Mitchell simply doesn't express much conviction in where he has currently landed with regards to how he personally dives. He readily admits it is only his best guess

So, do you really think that when he makes a personal decision on how he dives, a decision that could mean life or death for him, that his "guess" has no basis whatsoever in the research he has conducted and reviewed? You believe that his decision is "totally unsupported by science"? How did he shut all of those things out of his mind? It must have been difficult--I know I would have thought about all of that when making such a decision.

Kevin at least says it was an "informed decision," so evidently he does not believe a dart board was involved.

Yes yes, but how did they derive 66% as the Magic Value?
75% of max depth was a very conservative ambient pressure gradient estimate of the leading 5min Fast Tissue Compartment in which it just starts to barely desaturate -i.e. similar to GF lo 20.

My guess with a bit of numerology is that the new "recommended" GF lo of 50 is a 150% delta change greater than the old GF lo of 20. Therefore the corresponding new deepstop value of 66% of max depth in RD 2.0 is simply the inverse of this 150% delta change. . . (1/1.5 = 0.66 or 66%). Also the old rule of thumb was based on the leading 5min Fast Tissue Compartment being saturated to 75% in 2 half-lives: i.e. ten minutes beyond NDL Bottom Time for a particular depth. This new rule of 66% seems to be based on a lesser time of exposure of 1.5 half-lives. . .

Last edited:
What's GUE's official

75% of max depth was a very conservative ambient pressure gradient estimate of the leading 5min Fast Tissue Compartment in which it just starts to barely desaturate -i.e. similar to GFlo 20.
I like this game. Let's keep going.

For UTD, what tissue compartment in what model?

I cant seem to find it but wasnt it in the standards that for a GUE tech 1 dive, the diver was to slow their ascent from 30ft/min to something slower at 75% of their average depth? im not too sure the reasoning behind this other than i think you dont want to ascent too quickly to your stops. but say your average was 170ft, 75% of that is 136ft, so if you start slowing down at 136ft, wouldnt it be counter productive since youd still be on gassing ? i would think you want to get shallow as fast and safe as possible, since thats what current research suggests

I cant seem to find it but wasnt it in the standards that for a GUE tech 1 dive, the diver was to slow their ascent from 30ft/min to something slower at 75% of their average depth? im not too sure the reasoning behind this other than i think you dont want to ascent too quickly to your stops. but say your average was 170ft, 75% of that is 136ft, so if you start slowing down at 136ft, wouldnt it be counter productive since youd still be on gassing ? i would think you want to get shallow as fast and safe as possible, since thats what current research suggests
That guideline was because for a certain range of depths and bottom times 75% is roughly where the first stop is using buhlmann 20/85. It's a too for learning the relationship between depth time and first stop depth.

That guideline was because for a certain range of depths and bottom times 75% is roughly where the first stop is using buhlmann 20/85. It's a too for learning the relationship between depth time and first stop depth.
thank you !

I never said he made an authoritative recommendation. You will not see those words anywhere in my comment. I clearly referred to the fact that it is what he has chosen to do in his own personal diving.

So, one of the world's foremost decompression scientists conducts experiments and reads the results of ALL the experiments performed by other top scientists, consults with all the top experts in the field in workshops, and then takes a wild guess guess on how to do his own decompression, a guess totally unsupported by the science he has been studying so carefully. His wild guess is just as good as the wild guess of someone who cites no research in support of his very different approach.

Got it.

So, do you really think that when he makes a personal decision on how he dives, a decision that could mean life or death for him, that his "guess" has no basis whatsoever in the research he has conducted and reviewed? You believe that his decision is "totally unsupported by science"? How did he shut all of those things out of his mind? It must have been difficult--I know I would have thought about all of that when making such a decision.

Kevin at least says it was an "informed decision," so evidently he does not believe a dart board was involved.
Then why not follow the model?
How about some direct posts from @Dr Simon Mitchell , clarifying what his thoughts are:
". . .As I have pointed out before, it is difficult to recommend a definitive practical application of this conclusion to divers for all sorts of reasons. However, the use of GFs does give the diver an opportunity to "de-emphasise" deep stops to an extent. In my own experience, this means that whereas I might have used a GF-Lo of 10 or 20 at the height of the belief in deep stops, I would now use 40 or 50. Given I am frequently the only diving physician in remote locations I usually also dive a conservative GF-Hi (70 - 75) but that is a personal choice. There is nothing definitive in these recommendations. It just seems like a sensible response to the data that we have as of February 2014. . ."

Simon M

Deep Stops (rebreather dive charts) - Page 22

". . .This brings us to the fact that we have seen the recent emergence of data that suggest the deep stop approach might not be the best one. In particular, these data suggest that the logic of protecting fast tissues from supersaturation early in the ascent at the expense of increased supersaturation in slow tissues later in the ascent may be flawed. Whether one likes the relevant studies or not, they are all we have at the present time to illuminate this issue.

So, was the bubble model fashion a bad idea, and where does this leave the majority who have been using some degree of "deep stopping" with apparently good outcomes? Do we abandon deep stops entirely eg go to 90/90 as you hypothesised, do nothing, or do something in between?

I guess the first thing to acknowledge is that the studies indicating a disadvantage for deep stops are not the diving equivalent of multiple large multicentre randomized trials all showing that the risks of a widely used drug are greater than its benefits. On the basis of that sort of data you would probably stop using the drug overnight. The diving world data concerning deep stops are not as definitive as that. As more data emerge the situation may become clearer (or more blurred)! So, at the present time, as an informed commentator, I would not go so far as to recommend that the entire world dives 90/90 or 80/80 from tomorrow onward even though I personally would not be surprised if the outcomes were as good as (or better than) what we are getting now (if we were able to measure them!). Partly, this hesitancy to advocate substantial wholesale change arises from the certainty that every diver who subsequently got bent would inevitably blame it on the change in their decompression practice! The deep stop trend evolved over a substantial period, and if the data continue to be supportive, it may have to "de-evolve" over a substantial period.

Equally, I do believe the data are strong enough (and bear in mind they are the only data) to consider a change in practice if you are a strong "emphasizer" of deep stops. In practical terms, "de-emphasizing" deep stops (or lessening any potential disadvantage) would mean using bubble models on very high conservatism settings, and with gradient factors, avoiding very low GF-lo values. I have been evolving my own use of GFs and am currently around 50/80 . . .sometimes as low as 70 for the high value when we are at places like Bikini and I am the only diving physician. Pre-NEDU study I was GF lo of 20. This is my personal perception of a sensible graduated response to the way the evidence is currently evolving. I may well go further in future (guided by the evidence).

Sorry about the long post. Hope it makes sense."

Simon M

Deep stops debate (split from ascent rate thread) - Page 13

Back
Top Bottom