UTD Ratio deco discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have any evidence that deep stops (using any gas) reduce shallow stops? The NEDU study suggests that deep stops do not increase decompression efficiency. Any evidence to the contrary?

Except..... in reality, the Nedu NEVER tested deep stops. Admit it!

The (invalid) assumption all along, is their extended shallow profile tests are an emulation of deep stop conditions - something that is easily shown to be invalid.

What does the nedu test have in connection to real world tech practices? Nothing.

Instead we get bombarded with "association by word games" with phrases like bubble and deep, and posturing to imply all kinds of connection that simply do not exist.

Lets not ignore the hypocritical delusions of the 50/80 crowd. That style of planning is still very much a deeper stop approach and is a lot closer to bubble model attributes, than the original ZHL they think it follows.

Wow. Please, I really mean this for your own good. Grab a book like deco for divers and do some reading.

VGE is considered an indicator of deco stress. Deco stress is what you're trying to minimize.

Actually, Decompression sickness is what models are built to avoid - not stress. Models are built to make "efficient" deco: to leave the water in a timely manner.

Stress is a direct consequence of any and all diving. It cannot be eliminated, or reduced to a harmless amount by any realistic planning method. One can shift (a little) the peaks in stress around the plan with profile changes, but that wont eliminate the need for decompression.

Divers have been on this stress reduction campaign for a long time now. Every year the plans get a little bit longer and slower, all in the name of 'extra added safety margin' to create an extended plan. But these extras are not essential or required to complete decompression properly.

Let me comment on the RD 2.0 and VPM-B relationship.

VPM-B+2 first stop is typically in the 62% to 68% range. It would seem RD 2.0 first stop (66%) is now VPM-B like. However, the rest of the RD 2.0 ascent is different and VPM-B is often a little longer at the end.

So if anything, RD 2.0 is a step closer to VPM-B.

The old RD(1.0) was deeper and shorter than VPM-B.

The RD(1.0) comparison test that UTD performed, showed that the 30/85 profile was better. Note that for this test profile, 30/85 and VPM-B+2 are almost identical.

Let me comment on the RD 2.0 and VPM-B relationship.

VPM-B+2 first stop is typically in the 62% to 68% range. It would seem RD 2.0 first stop (66%) is now VPM-B like. However, the rest of the RD 2.0 ascent is different and VPM-B is often a little longer at the end.

So if anything, RD 2.0 is a step closer to VPM-B.

The old RD(1.0) was deeper and shorter than VPM-B.

The RD(1.0) comparison test that UTD performed, showed that the 30/85 profile was better. Note that for this test profile, 30/85 and VPM-B+2 are almost identical.

Right right. They just tested two profiles with the same length, one just had a deeper distribution than the other. Deeper stops. Deep stops, if you will.

Right right. They just tested two profiles with the same length, one just had a deeper distribution than the other. Deeper stops. Deep stops, if you will.

Straight back into "guilt by word association" games..... to imply some artificial connection.

To correct your statement above - one had extended shallow stops, not deep stops. There were no deep stops anywhere in the test. The "deepest" stop started at about GF 65/- and was 12 minutes long.

There is no science connection between the nedu test and tech practices or VPM-B.

The problem profile in the test was some artificial, hand crafted thing that ventured away from the basic gas formula rules, and landed in trouble (no surprises there). No, it did NOT represent deeper stops, emulated or otherwise.

The difference in gas loading in the test you refer too, as shown with standard Haldane / Schriener equations, both of those formula are already implemented in models and deco algorithms. Existing models already handle these changes properly.

So in essence your argument is.... "existing models that follow the basic gas kinetic formula... work". i.e VPM-B and ZHL both work correctly. There is no problem to be found or solved in VPM-B.

There certainly is trouble to be fixed in the add hoc planning methods - the RD and and the early DIR style planning that ignores or ventures away from the basic physics. It's nice to see RD 2.0 has taken steps to correct those earlier errors.

Last edited:
When I started tech diving, I read extensively through a lot of material because I did not feel comfortable with what I was being taught. It was TDI, but the instructor was dedicated to GUE. He had taken GUE courses from AG, and his TDI instructor trainer was and still is an employee of the owner of GUE.

When UTD was created, the TDI instructor crossed over to the new agency, and all his students had to cross over with him. There were immediate conflicts, because what I was reading in the course materials conflicted with what I had been reading previously. I contacted Gene Hobbes of Rubicon repeatedly, and he steered me to a number of studies on decompression. Gene and I had some interesting chats about the results.

Those conflicts continued, and I had a special problem with the study that was the basis for the S-curve, which I believed had a totally unfounded conclusion that violated gas laws. I was also concerned greatly about the belief that altitude did not matter, which has been well documented in this thread. Again, Gene and I consulted.

I crossed back to TDI, and I read a lot of other articles as I began to adjust to life using VPM.

Then began the deep stops debates on Rebreather World and on ScubaBoard. Holy Smokes! Reading through all of that made my head spin. You can read through all of that if you like to get an idea, but you won't get the whole picture as far as I am concerned. Throughout much of the Deep Stops debate on ScubaBoard, I had an extremely intense ongoing email discussion with Ross Hemingway, one of the key antagonists in the debate. When I say "intense," you can assume it was not always a pleasant exchange.

For a while on a dive trip I roomed near one of the foremost authorities on decompression in the world, a man who consults on decompression issues with NASA and the Pentagon. I learned a lot.

All of that over a decade brings me to where I am. I can't estimate the number of articles I have read during that time, and I can't estimate the number of people with whom I have talked. The one thing I can say for certain is that I know there are people whose understanding of all of this is so far beyond me that I am in awe of them. I can't touch their knowledge or understanding. So where am I? All of it leads me to plan my dives the way I describe here. It is what I think right now is what is best. But my mind is open. If some new Earth-shattering research is released tomorrow, I will pay it all due heed. I will not cling to past beliefs because of past beliefs. As Emerson said, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

So what you are asking me is to got through the last decade or so of my research, track down all the articles I have read, and provide an annotated bibliography. The theory is that this will change people's minds. It won't. Other research shows that when people become entrenched in a belief and are presented with solid contradictory evidence, they become even more thoroughly entrenched in their original belief. It would take me hundreds of hours to do what you ask, and it will not change a single mind.

Thank you for sharing that John. The only thing I disagree with is that it would take hundreds of hours to reference the relevant findings on deep stops in the NEDU study and that it would not change a single mind. I admire your commitment to educating divers. I see how many hours you have dedicated to this pursuit. I hope you are able to find an approach that is effective and I wish you the best. You are a good man.

Actually, Decompression sickness is what models are built to avoid - not stress. Models are built to make "efficient" deco: to leave the water in a timely manner.
In most illnesses, stress is what leads to sickness. If the stress level exceeds the amount the body (or mind) can sustain, we reach an illness. This is valid for about any illness I can think of, and I doubt decompression is any different.
You also forgot to mention something in your definition of "efficient", because by your definition the most efficient manner is simply not doing deco. May I suggest "leave the water in a timely and safe manner" instead?

In most illnesses, stress is what leads to sickness. If the stress level exceeds the amount the body (or mind) can sustain, we reach an illness. This is valid for about any illness I can think of, and I doubt decompression is any different.
You also forgot to mention something in your definition of "efficient", because by your definition the most efficient manner is simply not doing deco. May I suggest "leave the water in a timely and safe manner" instead?

In the context of decompression, it follows the physics interpretation of "efficient", where time is the measure of work. Models are made and calibrated to avoid decompression sickness, with a small margin. In the process, stress is raised (through ascent) to the point of tolerable.

Divers then want / need an extra margin for errors and variations. This is called conservatism. It comes in many forms: for simple dissolved models, its modifying a plan with extra (false) time added to the bottom segment or extra (false) depth, or with sensible GF extensions. In bubble models they have the ability to adjust internal parameters and provide a more conservative plan. These methods retain context to the base plan.

Today the trend is has gone a great deal further, into extra unnecessary added time, for no valid decompression reasons. Instead its now about finding excuses to justify adding more time....Its compounding conservatism onto extra margin onto extra safety onto extra feel good padding. These have grown to the point that they have lost relevant context to the underlying model and plan. This comes in the form of inflated GF's that we see in use today. Your reasoning above is an example... to lower stress.

Last edited:
I don't want to take this too far off-topic, so I'll post it and report myself for the mods to see what they want to do with it.

So how do you tell it's unnecessary? Remember, some of the first tables were these, and they were just fine according to the people that have used them, and back in the time I'm sure people said it was useless to do more deco time.
http://users.skynet.be/pascalc/mat/gers65_3.gif
You're reading it right, 1 minute of deco for a 5 minutes dive to 60m, with air as back-gas (and deco gas), and an ascent rate of 20m/min (meters, ie 65ft/min). So I guess VPM and buhlmann are unnecessary :(. Might as well stop funding NEDU, and you should try to find a new job, because those tables are all we need and ever needed. Sorry folks, fun's over, decompression is solved. :confused:

Straight back into "guilt by word association" games..... to imply some artificial connection.

To correct your statement above - one had extended shallow stops, not deep stops. There were no deep stops anywhere in the test. The "deepest" stop started at about GF 65/- and was 12 minutes long.

There is no science connection between the nedu test and tech practices or VPM-B.

The problem profile in the test was some artificial, hand crafted thing that ventured away from the basic gas formula rules, and landed in trouble (no surprises there). No, it did NOT represent deeper stops, emulated or otherwise.

The difference in gas loading in the test you refer too, as shown with standard Haldane / Schriener equations, both of those formula are already implemented in models and deco algorithms. Existing models already handle these changes properly.

So in essence your argument is.... "existing models that follow the basic gas kinetic formula... work". i.e VPM-B and ZHL both work correctly. There is no problem to be found or solved in VPM-B.

There certainly is trouble to be fixed in the add hoc planning methods - the RD and and the early DIR style planning that ignores or ventures away from the basic physics. It's nice to see RD 2.0 has taken steps to correct those earlier errors.

Do we really have to rehash all this again? Youre not expert, Ross, in anything except making software. Yet here you are pretending to know more than the experts at NEDU.

UTD VBlog: Complex Ratio Deco Questions · UTD Scuba Diving
Check out the slide behind him. Look at the 300ft oxygen time setpoint.
Ok, but where does the slide claim to reduce shallow stop time by adding deep stops when not using O2? The presumption by @Diver0001 was that RD adds deep stops to shorten the stops in the shallows which simply isn't true.

People have responded to you on a number of occasions, pointing out the issues, but you either ignore them completely or respond with statements that indicate that you are not on top of the theory.
Can you please point out where I have ignored anyone? Whether you think I am on top of theory or not is a matter of opinion. I think more accurately, when I respond with statements that seem contradictory with yours and others, you conclude that I'm not "on top of theory."

I was about to respond to [some of your statements, but the list got long. I quite.
So you chose not to respond. Got it.

If you read the threads on the deep stop study and understood anything about the scientific process, then you would understand why that is not an issue. For those who did not understand, the issue was explained ad nauseum in the thread.
I want to get this straight: you believe that one can draw the same conclusions regarding deep stops for an Oxygen-based decompression dive from a study which used air for decompression? A study which is vaguely related to actual deep stop diving as @rossh pointed out? You think that is a scientific method? If Peter likes Mary, and Mary likes Paul, then Peter must like Paul then too?

Actually, you said at some points that UTD does have something to say about it somewhere.
Where exactly?

You said your instructor said that if you dive at altitude, you can't use RD without adjusting it. Another poster said a UTD instructor told him the same thing. So something is being taught.
If I ask you how you might do a dive in Truk Lagoon, does that count as PADI officially teaching me how to do a dive in Truk Lagoon? I asked my instructor personally what he might do. Don't confuse that with the agency having any official training on how to dive at altitude.

So, for the 10th time now, UTD does not officially teach altitude diving. If you ask any instructor about it, they will tell you the same thing.

Debunked aspects of RD:
The first stops are too deep.
Too deep for a Buhlmann model? Sure. What part of RD deep stops are "debunked?" Where's the science that disproves it? If RD used air only for decompression, based on a vaguely related NEDU deep stop study, I might agree with you more. Where's the sciences that says a dive involving oxygen-based decompression and deep stops is bad?

The S-curve provides no benefit
Please point me to the research that disproves S-Curves have no benefit and is "debunked."

It is not so much that the science "debunked" it
You're contradicting yourself. You said it was "debunked." Now it's not?

It does not spend enough time in the shallow stops. This is especially problematic considering that the deep stops study said that if a diver spends more time doing deep stops, the the diver needs to spend even more time in the shallow stops to compensate. RD spends MORE time in the deep stops and LESS time in the shallow stops.
I would agree with that study, if we were using air only for decompression. The deep stop study also used air for decompression. RD uses oxygen-based decompression like any sensible diver would.

It cannot be used at altitude, so it leaves the altitude diver with no established way to do such a dive.
Why couldn't it be used at altitude? I've posted a few altitude profiles as well as Kevin, but you conveniently ignored those posts. I'll ask again, do you think those profiles are acceptable to execute at the altitudes they were derived for?

When I started tech diving, I read extensively through a lot of material because I did not feel comfortable with what I was being taught. It was TDI, but the instructor was dedicated to GUE. He had taken GUE courses from AG, and his TDI instructor trainer was and still is an employee of the owner of GUE.

When UTD was created, the TDI instructor crossed over to the new agency, and all his students had to cross over with him. There were immediate conflicts, because what I was reading in the course materials conflicted with what I had been reading previously. I contacted Gene Hobbes of Rubicon repeatedly, and he steered me to a number of studies on decompression. Gene and I had some interesting chats about the results.

Those conflicts continued, and I had a special problem with the study that was the basis for the S-curve, which I believed had a totally unfounded conclusion that violated gas laws. I was also concerned greatly about the belief that altitude did not matter, which has been well documented in this thread. Again, Gene and I consulted.

I crossed back to TDI, and I read a lot of other articles as I began to adjust to life using VPM.

Then began the deep stops debates on Rebreather World and on ScubaBoard. Holy Smokes! Reading through all of that made my head spin. You can read through all of that if you like to get an idea, but you won't get the whole picture as far as I am concerned. Throughout much of the Deep Stops debate on ScubaBoard, I had an extremely intense ongoing email discussion with Ross Hemingway, one of the key antagonists in the debate. When I say "intense," you can assume it was not always a pleasant exchange.

For a while on a dive trip I roomed near one of the foremost authorities on decompression in the world, a man who consults on decompression issues with NASA and the Pentagon. I learned a lot.

All of that over a decade brings me to where I am. I can't estimate the number of articles I have read during that time, and I can't estimate the number of people with whom I have talked. The one thing I can say for certain is that I know there are people whose understanding of all of this is so far beyond me that I am in awe of them. I can't touch their knowledge or understanding. So where am I? All of it leads me to plan my dives the way I describe here. It is what I think right now is what is best. But my mind is open. If some new Earth-shattering research is released tomorrow, I will pay it all due heed. I will not cling to past beliefs because of past beliefs. As Emerson said, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

So what you are asking me is to got through the last decade or so of my research, track down all the articles I have read, and provide an annotated bibliography. The theory is that this will change people's minds. It won't. Other research shows that when people become entrenched in a belief and are presented with solid contradictory evidence, they become even more thoroughly entrenched in their original belief. It would take me hundreds of hours to do what you ask, and it will not change a single mind.

Eight paragraphs to basically say you don't know exactly where you got the research from, it's just in your head. So we should trust you just because of that? That's no better than this:
During that webinar, one of the participants asked how he knew RD was correct, and he said, "You have to have faith." "Faith in you?" she asked. "Yes," he answered.

Do we really have to rehash all this again? Youre not expert, Ross, in anything except making software. Yet here you are pretending to know more than the experts at NEDU.

I don't think he was claiming to more than the experts at NEDU, but that the deep stop study is vaguely related to actual VPM-based diving. He doesn't have to be an expert to point that out. If a smoker tells you you shouldn't smoke, does it make him wrong?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom