Utila Dive Recommendation for the older diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrankney1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are headed for Utilla and then on to Roatan for six weeks this summer. I'm a diver and she's an avid snorkeler. we're all set on Roatan (Coconut Tree is totally the best ever) but hope to spend two weeks in Utila fun diving. before we head to Roatan to do tech dive and trimix course.
We're looking for a great dive shop in Utila that isn't a total party scene. We're late forties/early fifties couple that likes to have a good time but rise early, dive hard, play after diving and then crash early. Most of the reviews that I've read about Utila mentions the party scene which makes me a little leery of all-night bashes, etc...
We do like the backpack scene and don't mind basic accommodations so long as the beer is cold and there's ice for the rum, but hoards of people partying at 2:00 a.m. might be a bit much....
Suggestions?????

You'll like Mondays :)

Deep Blue Resort is fantastic (currently there right now). I'm 35 and not always accepting of the party scene. There is none of the backpacker types at DBR. And if I want to act half my age it's a quick, easy, free, boat shuttle to town.

Or if you want to stay in town, Mango Inn is far enough off the main road that the parties won't annoy you. I've stayed there twice - recommend the cottage over the basic room.

Bay View hotel was less expensive than Mango and was also *mostly* quiet, but it is on the main drag so every once in awhile you get a group of drunks walking past being loud. Rooms were basic but comfortable and clean.

HTH

I am over 50 and my wife and I had a great experience diving with Deep Blue's shop downtown. We were there 2 weeks and dove with them 6 days. We stayed in a private home, so I can't speak to accomadations. But I highly recommend diving with Deep Blue in town, and based on what I learned, staying at the Resort itself would just as high quality.

Lazy Days on the Bay has a few rooms or apartments with a private dock. Rooms are in the $40 to $75 range. Rooms all have bottled water and fridges standard
It is 2 docks over from Alton's dive center. We used that combination and it worked out perfect.
Being 50 yards from the dive shop was perfect. Hang out with the backpackers when you want to and retreat to Lazy Days when you don't. Everything in town is in walking distance so lunch and dinner were easy too.
Rob at Alton's can set up the hotel for you with a discount. He was extremely helpful in setting up everything.

i live on utila and as far as resorts are concerned deep blue resort and utopia dive village are the best. if you want to be in town i'd recommend deep blue divers.

I would recommend the Utila Lodge as well. It is "in town" but still somewhat private. I was there for a week in November 2010 and loved it. Very quiet. I think some of the folks in our group went into "town" only once. The diving was excellent as were the Instructors/DMs. I would definitely return.

I have stayed at Laguna Beach and found the staff great and most people there about your age. It does seem a little pricey. Lazy Daze is a very nice place to stay also. You may want to book a room or apartment there and check out dive shops yourself when you arrive, so many great ones on.Utila

I would say think about what you want to get from a dive center and dive service... I regularly ask this question of people and although the basics are similar everyone has their own opinions concerning what is important and what is not. Ask 10 people and get 10 different answers.

So, what is important to you?
You mentioned people partying until late at night - so make sure to ask about that.
What kind of accommodation you would like?
Do you want to be quiet but with easy access to town, or perhaps more isolated but guaranteed peaceful retreat?
What kind of dive service? If you are fun diving do you want to make sure student and fun diver activities are separated?
How many boats does the dive center have? (this will impact their ability to separate students and fun divers?)
Are the boats covered?
Are the boats reputable, safe & comfortable (ask for pictures)?
How are the fun dives and fun divers organized?
How is the fun divers equipment organized?
Nitrox available?
Dive times?
Variety of dive locations?
Ask for a good description of the dive service - ask details as it is often in these that a days diving can become great or disappointing.

I am sure you can come up with many more questions to help you find the dive center right for you. Don't just go on other peoples advice, but do take it into consideration. Statements like "such and such are the best" or "we are the best" are pretty much meaningless without defining some kind of criteria by which "best" is measured.

Utila does have a party scene but it is also easy to get away from - we are usually in bed by 9:30 (must be getting old or something!) and neither me or the wife are disturbed at night. It's simply a matter of choosing your spot. Keesmon is right about Lazy Daze (Jim & Vicki are a really helpful & friendly retired couple who run the place). They also have a collection of vacation homes and apartments they manage around the island.

Feel free to email me or PM me for more information about Alton's or anything Utila...
Rob

P.S. Hows it going Mr. Keesmon???

Wow! Thanks to everyone who responded to this post. Lots of food for thought there. Diving is #1 for us, and then r&r right behind. I'll mostly be fun diving and Peg will want to snorkel. After Utila we're headed to Roatan to do tech diving courses and tri-mix, so fun diving is the ticket on Utila. I might look into-suggestions welcome-doing master scuba diver cert. But it's hard to find good info on that specialty on most dive shop web sites. Any intel out there on that idea?? See you Utilians soon!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom