Utila Lodge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lrurich

Reaction score
Has anyone stayed at Utila Lodge? I've seen a lot of GREAT information about Deep Blue, Laguna Beach and Mango Inn. It seems that Utila Lodge is priced right between Mango Inn and the pricer choices of Deep Blue and Laguna Beach. Any help would be much appreciated. I"m planning a week long trip there for Memorial Day, and am hoping to book something soon. I'm pretty excited, and hoping the Whale sharks stick around, but I'd say my chances of seeing one are slim at that point. Thanks again for the help.

My stay with them was rather good. The food was good and the dive ops were top notch. The rooms were OK..not the worst and not the best. So I guess its a matter of taste. Utila Lodge is on a pier...so no beach to lounge upon. But at least the no-see-ums are kept at bay. If you have any specific questions..feel free to ping me.

vr

JC

lrurich:
Has anyone stayed at Utila Lodge? I've seen a lot of GREAT information about Deep Blue, Laguna Beach and Mango Inn. It seems that Utila Lodge is priced right between Mango Inn and the pricer choices of Deep Blue and Laguna Beach. Any help would be much appreciated. I"m planning a week long trip there for Memorial Day, and am hoping to book something soon. I'm pretty excited, and hoping the Whale sharks stick around, but I'd say my chances of seeing one are slim at that point. Thanks again for the help.

They're all good and have their own advantages; Utila Lodge is in town and close to everything....Deep Blue resort is one of the newest, is smaller (10 rooms) family owned and located on the beach at several of the best dive sites on the island. DBR customers receive maximum indivdual attention. Laguna Beach Resort is located on the peninsula (beach) at Blue Lagoon. LBR has a beach, shore dives and state of the art dive boats. You could enjoy your running and reading at DBR and LBR.

Regards,

I just got back last week from a one week stay at Utila Lodge. PM me if you want details. Overall I thought it was very nice, and I had just two criticisms.

If you've read about the dive sites in Utila, you know that they are varied. For me the walls and pinacle on the north side are well worth the long boat ride. The boat ride is longer however coming from Utila Lodge than from Laguna Beach and Deep Blue. From UL the ride is a little over an hour.

Our group left the choice of where to go each day to the divemaster and with a few exceptions (like me) gave him very little input what we liked to do. He seemed resistant to going to sites that were on the north side because of the long boat ride. I can hardly blame him as we weren't that vocal.

Oh, third criticism. I didn't like the breakfasts. Tang and mushy pancakes and not enough fresh fruit.

Don't get caught up in a desire to be close to town. You wouldn't be missing much.

By the way, please please don't miss the site called the pinacle. Granted it was my first pinacle, but OMG! It's even better as a first morning dive because of the slanted rays of sunshine.

We just spent a week at Inn of Last Resort in Roatan, and are currently half-way through a week at Utila Lodge. So far I am very impressed. The food is buffet style and very good. If you get sick of the food, you are in town, so can eat out (cheap). The room is also very nice (ask for upstairs at the end if you can). they have screened in porches overlooking the water, fans and AC. The staff bend over backwards.

Most important, the diving has been awesome. The divemaster (Albert) goes really slowly so that you have a chance to see everything.

I would come back in a heart-beat.

Tony

PhillyDiver86:
Hey tday, I've got an original and hardly ever asked question for you... you see any whale sharks so far? :)
Yep. Dive after I wrote that message. We saw one whale shark. Pretty small; 15-20 ft. Followed it (snorkelling) for ~ 1 minute before it dove out of site. Then the boat captain set a fishing rod out for the return trip and caught a barracuda.

Now we're off for a night dive.

Tony

And I'm off to bed because I have to wake up for work at 6 am... in other words I'm unbelievably jealous of you. But my work money will go towards a trip to Utila next spring and I do happen to be strongly considering Utila Lodge. Sounds like you are having a very nice time, so I hope you keep enjoying and maybe after it's all over you can give us an update and persuade me even more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom