Utila recommendations: Alton's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I recently spent some time diving and training with Alton’s Dive Shop on Utila, Bay Islands, Honduras. For those of you in a hurry, let me say I recommend them without reservation. For those with more time, here’s why:

Alton’s is not the cheapest dive shop on the island, and it doesn’t aspire to be. For the extra twenty or so dollars (American) you’ll spend on ten dives or a course, you get professionalism, equipment in good condition, first-rate dive masters and instructors, and experienced captains on ships that are well-maintained. How much does that matter? Well, I can say that in a twenty-four hour period, I was twice on an Alton’s boat that was ready, willing and able to tow in or jump off dive boats from other, cheaper shops that were stranded out on the water.

The experience and skill of Alton’s boat captains made a difference in other ways. Captain Joe found and set us up in just the right spot to swim with a whale shark, without crowding the animal with the boat. On another occasion, he brought our group home from an incredible trip to Cayos Cuchinos on rough seas, but handled those seas with such skill that it was truly a walk in the park…and I’m no stranger to puking on a boat. Don’t miss Cayos Cucchinos, if they are making that trip while you’re there.

I took the NAUI Advanced course at Alton’s with Chris, who in spite of having taught the course probably hundreds of times in his four years with Alton’s, presented the material with enthusiasm and a constant eye to the well-being, education and enjoyment of the students.

One more thing I especially appreciated was that you could get a good meal and a cold beer, right there on Alton’s dock, for less than you’d spend filling up elsewhere. With God as my witness, I had as good a pork chop on that dock as I’ve ever had in my life—and I’m from Tennessee, so that’s saying something.

Also, it may be that, like me, you’re not eighteen and wonder if you’ll fit in with the backpacker party crowd of which Utila is allegedly composed. No worries…there were all sorts of folks on Utila, and all sorts of folks diving at Alton’s. I quickly felt a welcome member of the community there. There’s plenty of room to be eighteen and have a good time, and plenty of room to be forty and have a good time, too.

Long story short, if you are interested in having a great time diving with a professional outfit, look no farther than Alton’s. To find it, get off the ferry, take a right and walk ten minutes. You’ll be glad you did.

Finally, thank you to all the folks at Alton’s for all you do.

Cheers,

aj

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom