UTIs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Some interesting comments about UTIs came up in an otherwise content-free thread that I won't dignify with a link.

One poster mentioned that she suffered a UTI that was unusually difficult to control after diving for several days in a rented wetsuit. She had not worn a swimsuit or undergarments under the wetsuit.

I have questions, because there are female divers in my life who look to me for advice.

1) Does diving contribute to problems with UTIs?
2) If so, does it do so any more than other water activities, such as swimming, surfing, SUPing
3) Do wetsuits contribute to the problem?
4) Does wearing a swimsuit under the wetsuit make matters better, worse, or the same?
5) Are rental wetsuits any worse in this regard than wetsuits always used by the same person?
6) Is there anything the diver can do to mitigate these problems?

Hey, ok, so I don't really know much about UTI's. But, I do know that diving has several factors that does have an impact on the need to pee at depth. One is the lack of gravity, changing how the urine is actually held within the body. Also blood movement due to the water's pressure and feeling colder causes the kidneys to produce more urine. So... these could also have an affect on UTI's...maybe?

Some interesting comments about UTIs came up in an otherwise content-free thread that I won't dignify with a link.

One poster mentioned that she suffered a UTI that was unusually difficult to control after diving for several days in a rented wetsuit. She had not worn a swimsuit or undergarments under the wetsuit.

Not wearing a swimsuit under a wetsuit-OUCH! I cannot imagine how uncomfortable that stitched seem would be near the never regions:wink: I do not think the issue of rental wet suits is a contributing factor. UTI's are often caused by E-Coli. E coli is prevalent around nearby, adjacent not- so-clean orifices(okay, I am really trying to keep it PG rated). The frequent contributors to UTI's are inadequate hydration and infrequent urination. By not urinating/flushing often enough, it gives the nearby bacteria a better chance to migrate up the urinary tract. Unfortunately, it is more difficult for females to take care of elimination needs than it is for men. Take advantage of the surface interval to "jump into the pool". Most importantly hydration, hydration hydration....Just my 2 pecos

Hey, ok, so I don't really know much about UTI's. But, I do know that diving has several factors that does have an impact on the need to pee at depth. One is the lack of gravity, changing how the urine is actually held within the body. Also blood movement due to the water's pressure and feeling colder causes the kidneys to produce more urine. So... these could also have an affect on UTI's...maybe?

You are referring to immersion diuresis. Immersion and cooler water temps cause peripheral vessels to contract. This causes an increased volume of blood in the central vascular system which decreases ADH production which allows the kidneys to make more urine.

I don't know whether women are more prone to UTIs while diving. On the one hand peeing more should decrease the possibility of infection, but if a woman gets a full bladder and refuses to urinate until back in the hotel it might arguably increase the risk.

People who are particularly prone to immersion diuresis especially need to make sure they stay hydrated. That loss of fluid on top of normal fluid loss needs to be replenished.

First I think I need to make a correction. The post I think you are referencing in the nameless thread was about a bad yeast infection in a female diver that went comando in a rental. That is different then a UTI (yes women can get yeast in the bladder but that is not what we are talking about here).

I am not dive medicine but I do treat a lot of women for UTIs and the risk factors should be the same regardless of the activity. Two conditions are needed for a UTI. Bacteria must be present and there must be and environment conducive to growth.

Specific to diving and the first condition, it would seem possible that if a wetsuit were not properly cleaned and the previous diver had less then ideal hygiene, it would seem at least a possibility that a higher then average level of bacteria could be present in th wetsuit at the, a hmmm, area of the urethra and that the activity of diving, kicking, giant strides, sitting on a boat in sporty seas (yes I am stretching things a bit) might at least theoretically aid in introducing said bacteria into the bladder, similar to the known risk factor of sex (this is why women at risk are encouraged to void after sex). Another factor may occur if the diver must wear a wet suit for a prolonged period allowing the bacteria present to multiply in a warm, wet environment.

And of course the condition of a susceptible environment caused by dehydration and avoidence of urinating frequently have already been mentioned.

So 2airishuman while it may be theoretically possible that diving may increase ones risk, I think the reality is that it is very unlikely except possibly in an individual that is high risk already.

On a similar note baths were once thought to be a risk factor for UTIs but now seems unlikely.

Last edited:
Commando in a rental? :vomit:
Surprised about infections? :acclaim:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom